VPN Connection Issue - remote computer did not respond in a timely manner

Scott_Newton
Here to help

VPN Connection Issue - remote computer did not respond in a timely manner

I have been getting tickets from my users indicating they are receiving the "did not respond in a timely manner" response when trying to connect to VPN.

This happened overnight as I was connected to a VPN session until 10pm Wednesday night PST.

I see the Windows updated with KB5011487 yesterday but I am not sure when.  I uninstalled the Windows update but still I am receiving the same message.

All comm lines are up and the hardware is not reporting any issues.

Is anyone else having this issue?

82 REPLIES 82
Jose_aisos
Here to help

Hello, I have the same problem, but it is recent, I have 02 schedules in which my users connect, those of the first schedule connected without problems but those of the second schedule, they cannot get an error message "the connection was lost because the server did not respond in time"

kkwok
Here to help

I'm having same issue. Still on hold with Cisco support line.

JZHansen
Conversationalist

Same issue here. I've also removed the same KB update and rebuilt the VPN. No dice. 

Mojojojo
Conversationalist

Everyone using Cloud authentication? Ours is down as well

MM5280
New here

All of my users are getting the same error we saw with KB5009543.  I verified that the patch was not reapplied.

"The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer"

I've been on hold for 30 minutes, and the Meraki subreddit has a number of reports, so I'm sure support is flooded right now.

dwllnet
New here

Same issue here with 3 different dashboard organizations, multiple networks, all using Meraki Cloud Auth. On phone with support.  

Happening across Windows, MAC and iPads.

Jgalleg3
New here

Same issue here. All users on Cloud Authentication are not able to connect seeing the "remote computer did not respond in a timely manner" error. 

SurW
New here

I have same issue too. All my users can not connect. I submitted case to meraki. I know there was problem with windows patch back in January or february but I doubt the windows update cause the issue because one of the laptop did not receive any update.

delfuego
Getting noticed

Here we go again. I think I just got the last user fixed up from last time. It was just Patch Tuesday. Anybody have a corporate MS account and can open a ticket there also?

JimmyM
Getting noticed

Same probleme.

Only with cloud auth

Jose_aisos
Here to help

I get this error

Jose_aisos_0-1646928064545.png

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

engineering is aware and is working on resolution

Thanks for the reply 👍

@Ryan_Miles In hopes of this feedback reaching the PMs @ Meraki: The lack of acknowledgment on breaking issues from Meraki is entirely unacceptable. Outages happen, but like most of the community here, we are always in the dark about a Meraki issue. We're all supporting companies that have hundreds or thousands of employees. Create a status page that automatically alerts the on-call team for breaking issues and lets the customers know. The product is excellent, and if the communication gets better, it will be next level. 

It's a great idea... at least a Twitter account that feeds back... even MS has one with their 365 "service"

shake74
Conversationalist

Completely agree with you! I look like an idiot when I get numerous calls and I have no idea what's happening.

Especially after last time. They told us they would be more transparent and get a status page.

kpalanisamy
New here

Same Problem for all our users - Windows and Mac  has issue, fails in Authentication service.

SIL-Christian
New here

Hi, same issue here. 

Issue just started an hour ago. Users started reporting connecting to VPN taking forever, connecting and then disconnecting. I checked Event viewer on a few machines and they have all the same error mentioned in @Scott_Newton thread. 

"Error 718: did not respond in a timely manner"

I was able to connect and disconnect with no issues for a while until it hit me too.

I checked event logs and I could see almost all users connecting and then disconnecting after 3 seconds.

Mar 10 15:37:35VPN client disconnected
Mar 10 15:37:32VPN client connected

Same issue here. Logs are the same of what I'm seeing

GrahamG
Here to help

Same issue with client VPN failing (remote computer did not respond in a timely manner) at three sites while five sites are working fine.

Mixture of MX65 & MX68 affected.

All affected sites are running MX ver. 15.44 but working sites are also running MX ver. 15.44 on MX 64, MX65 & MX68

Site-to-site VPN unaffected, even though client VPN is failing at one of those sites but not the other

jnekl
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

We are currently having an issue with Meraki Auth on our side.. We are aware of it and working on getting it resolved ASAP

Is RADIUS authentication also effected?  None of my users are able to connect.

any news?

INFOTECH-BALAJI
Conversationalist

Hi . i have also same problem, even we updated latest patches . still we have facing issue. can anyone pls guide me how we can resolve. our users can able to connect client vpn.

JSchooff
Here to help

Where is the service health update on the dashbaord that Meraki promised us last time this happened? Why do I have to go into the forums and the subreddit before I can determine that there might be a service outage. 

HakobDavtyan
Conversationalist

we have a problem with VPN by the side MERAKI CLOUD Authentication

Aidan_Taub
Conversationalist

Mac and PC users all effected - this certainly seems like a Meraki Cloud Authentication issue again. Who forgot to renew the certificate this time?

re209418
Conversationalist

I have multiple sites getting stuck at the authentication step as well.

Malbeck
Here to help

Same here in MPLS, authentication errors! so much for a slow morning.

JSchooff
Here to help

FYI Folks – Just started working for us.

Same. I hope!

Still down for us. Did y'all do anything?

Nope, just came back up but it may be slow to resolve for some.

Not yet for me, Should i reconfigure client VPN again?

Unless you changed something while troubleshooting, I'd say no.

Jumped the gun. Disconnected and was unable to reconnect. Looks like it was a blip of functionality. 

kkwok
Here to help

Just got off the phone with the support, this is the official update thread.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Meraki-Service-Notices/Meraki-Auth-Issues/ba-p/142206

MiraT
New here

Still down for us. I'm wondering if we'll hear from Meraki when it's back up?

VictorHMartinez
New here

Hi, I have the same problem, on all my vpn clients,"remote computer did not respond in a timely manner"

flebegue
Comes here often

Hi,

We have the same problem when the user is already logged in, the session remains active.

JosiahMW
New here

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to chime in and say we are having the same problem. VPN connects then disconnects in about 3 seconds. Same error message everyone else is reporting. Is this the master thread to subscribe to regarding this issue?

DavidHenley
Here to help

A lot of these replies feel like "+1" or "me too". Can we limit these? Thanks.

Jau
New here

I just confirmed with David/Meraki Support and the problem is not resolved yet. All we have to do is waiting!! 😞

Dipen
Getting noticed

I would say just monitor dashboard they might pass notice that it's been resolved because right we can see on our dashboard that they are working on it and marked it as Severity 1.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It seems like the problem came back. We are having the same error.

This problem did indeed come back and we are getting radio silence from Meraki. Any update would be appreciated.

KDC_Tech
New here

I can confirm at least 3 VPN connection have been restored and are working again for us, I have to wait on additional connections based on clients

kkwok
Here to help

It's good for our end. 

JSchooff
Here to help

Seems to be working consistently now.

ArmandoB
New here

Problema solucionado en nuestra organización

Jau
New here

It works on my PC and I am asking users to try.

RAVELAR
Just browsing

Testing good now.

Mbanders99
Conversationalist

All good in Texas now.  No problem connecting to vpn.

Scott_Newton
Here to help

The VPN issue has been corrected and our users can connect again.

Gibby13
New here

We started having issues with this a few weeks ago. It would connect after the second attempt at first. It steadily got worse until the past few days where most of our clients would need to retry several times or more to connect. I wonder if it was a sign that this melt down was imminent?

Regardless, I will be contacting Meraki support as soon as these issues start cropping up again!

DavidHenley
Here to help

Thanks for your help today engineers.

Can we get a report on what happened and what Meraki is doing in the future to eliminate these issues?

Most of us have people to answer to and evaluate Meraki as a network solution.

Spoke too soon. This is becoming a huge problem.

houltmac
Conversationalist

Still not working here. I reported this issue months ago as an intermittent issue. Can anyone confirm if it's likely the same root cause and if/when functionality will be restored for all accounts?

LVL
New here

Looks like the same issue came back again. same error message for client vpn, get disconnected within few sec in the log

-KuJo-
Conversationalist

Also confirming the same issue after having uptime for the last 2-3 hours.

Perhaps going forward, having a proper service status page for Meraki services would be in order so we don't have to monitor a web forum for major service outages. 

JanisG
Conversationalist

Our users are experiencing the same problem as this morning as well.

Maranfang
Conversationalist

We are having the same issue as well. It was working for about two hours then it stopped working and had the same error.

Mojojojo
Conversationalist

Going down down....

Scott_Newton
Here to help

We are again having issues with our users trying to connect to VPN.  Same issue as this morning.

Are the Meraki Engineers attempting to correct the issue from this morning?

The cat came back.

As of 1pm PST the VPN connection service was working again.

Seems to be an up/down issue.

Perhaps as the situation from this morning is being patched or updated???

EricLeeVQ
New here

I am trying to call Meraki support, but I am sure other people are doing the same thing. Still on hold for 20 minutes

Mbanders99
Conversationalist

Issue is back. No VPN in Texas.  Feels like Deja Vu all over again!

Working again now.

EricLeeVQ
New here

We are working again

Jgalleg3
New here

From checking Event Logs, seems like users that were connected to VPN after the fix a few hours ago are able holding that connection, but newly connecting users are seeing same error from this morning.

houltmac
Conversationalist

That's exactly what I've been seeing for some months on and off

mhassan1
Conversationalist

Switch to Radius if you can, we migrated all of our networks over and authentication is still working. 

This just isn't possible for some of us, but thank you.

Techsupports
Conversationalist

Still very much so in and out for us. Can Meraki update us as to why this is so intermittent?

houltmac
Conversationalist

Back working for us currently 🤞🏻

Imperio
Here to help

Problem still persists here.
We're using MX84 with firmware version 15.44

Do you still have the problem ?
I want to avoid upgrading firmware (to version 16.16) during production time. But if I'm sure that solves the problem, I might do it.

houltmac
Conversationalist

Working for us right now on latest stable firmware as of 18 hours ago. Don’t have the number to hand. Also on MX84. Staff heading to party this PM so won’t be tested properly until Monday now. 

After upgrading to the latest version (16.16), the problem was solved.
VPN Client connections again OK

Sunny21DC
Here to help

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by using device manager.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels