Templates for MX64 and MX64W

SOLVED
Adriano
Here to help

Templates for MX64 and MX64W

I have templates for networks that use the MX64. Recently for a new site a MX64W was ordered by mistake.  I am wondering if I would be able to associate the MX64W to a template made specifically for the MX64?

Any experience with his situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Adriano that is correct.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Adam
Kind of a big deal

If you wanted an MX64 instead of the MX64W can you just exchange it with your reseller?  But worst case, just copy/clone an existing MX64 network and then assign the MX64W to it and it should get the majority of the settings except for the device name, static IP etc...

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

@Adam Yeah, returning the MX64W and getting the MX64, according to my Korean counterparts (site is in Korea) would take around 2 months.

Yep I considered too making a new template to cover the mx64W case. I may not even use a template since the MX64W will be the only one in the organization.

given the input from @Mr_IT_Guy, I'll try to use the mx64 template I already have.

Cheers lads

Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

Hi @Adriano,

A template for an MX64 would work on an MX64W. When going through the template setup, you will see that there are options for wireless settings. When applied, a template will apply those settings which pertain to that device. For instance, you can apply a Z1/Z3 to an MX64 template, but the device will not get Content Filtering settings because content filtering is not available on the device. Additionally, the Z1/Z3 will get the port settings for the first 4 ports in the MX template as the Z1/Z3 only has four usable ports.

Here's a link to further documentation: Managing Multiple Networks with Configuration Templates

Hope this helps!

Thanks @Mr_IT_Guy 

So then, if I bind the MX64W to the MX64 template, since the MX64 template has no wireless settings, the mx64W wireless will remain unconfigured. Correct?

@Adriano that is correct.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels