Syslog - Volume of logs

Solved
Boundless
Getting noticed

Syslog - Volume of logs

Hi, 

I am trying to estimate the volume of logs that an MX produces on a monthly basis.

I couldn't find a calculator for that.

Any idea?

Thanks

Best,

Ed

Noel-Edouard Chenu
1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Boundless it really does depend on how much traffic is going through it and what features you have enabled.

For our MXs running the enterprise license they are generating between 200 and 7000 events per minute with the main datacenter concentrator being the 7000 and a lightly populated office being 200 epm.  A reasonably busy normal venue generates about 2000 epm.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

It seems like that would be impossible to estimate since each system can be so different, no? Which types of logs specifically? Maybe you can sample a system for a day or a week to get a baseline?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

You are right Brandon. Except I need to submit a pricing for an org I dont' have access to. That's why I was trying to get a rough estimate of the volume it would represent.

Noel-Edouard Chenu
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Boundless , there is nothing documented for this.  As @BrandonS states, you’ll need to baseline this on your own network.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Boundless it really does depend on how much traffic is going through it and what features you have enabled.

For our MXs running the enterprise license they are generating between 200 and 7000 events per minute with the main datacenter concentrator being the 7000 and a lightly populated office being 200 epm.  A reasonably busy normal venue generates about 2000 epm.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels