Packet Loss on uplink WAN

SOLVED
phanlawi
Here to help

Packet Loss on uplink WAN

Can someone help me to tell what is wrong with this and how to find out the root cause of it. ISP said nothing wrong on their side. 

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Your ISP may be correct. You need to take into account what those statistics are measuring. RIght above those graphs is the current destination:

image.png

By default it measures to Google DNS, which is an anycast address somewhere out on the Internet. The loss may be happening anywhere between you and Google, which may or may not be inside your ISP's network. 

If you go to the Security & SD-WAN > SD-WAN & traffic shaping page you can set additional test destinations under the Uplink Statistics section. 

image.png

Try adding your ISP's gateway, or your ISP's DNS servers. Or do a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 and add every hop in the path. Once you have more destinations you can see if there's loss to some destinations and not others. If you have no loss to your gateway then your ISP is right in that your service is fine. If you do have loss to your gateway then I'd get back on the phone with them and give them heck 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is quite choppy.  Try:

- replacing cable between MX and ISP

- ensure MX is on latest stable firmware

- confirm that your MX WAN IP details are correct 

If you’re happy and confident with the above push back to the ISP

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

I really appreciate your suggestion. I will try and will update you again. Currently, i am running on MX 14.40 (MX100)

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Your ISP may be correct. You need to take into account what those statistics are measuring. RIght above those graphs is the current destination:

image.png

By default it measures to Google DNS, which is an anycast address somewhere out on the Internet. The loss may be happening anywhere between you and Google, which may or may not be inside your ISP's network. 

If you go to the Security & SD-WAN > SD-WAN & traffic shaping page you can set additional test destinations under the Uplink Statistics section. 

image.png

Try adding your ISP's gateway, or your ISP's DNS servers. Or do a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 and add every hop in the path. Once you have more destinations you can see if there's loss to some destinations and not others. If you have no loss to your gateway then your ISP is right in that your service is fine. If you do have loss to your gateway then I'd get back on the phone with them and give them heck 🙂

Thank you. Will try all the options you have suggested. Fyi- for every time there is a loss, users will experience poor call quality on MS Teams meeting.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@phanlawi is the line simply being overloaded?  what are the usage levels at the time of the packet loss?

Hi, please check your log for "packet dropped event". Sometimes even though meraki utilization showing low utilization, spike could be occurred which make the mx drop the package and not showing on the monitor.

It sounds like to me the link is being overloaded and then packets get dropped.

have you tried prioritizing some of the traffic via traffic shaping / QoS.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels