Experiencing issues with Packet Loss

Solved
Franklin212
Conversationalist

Experiencing issues with Packet Loss

Hello all, 

Fairly new to networking and the Meraki services so I will do my best to explain the issues.

I am managing a network with approximately 28 PCs, handled on a 5 gig line. We have a Mx100, and 2 MS220s, and the PCs are primarily used for gaming. 

The issue I am running into is that when anything is downloaded on a client, all of the PCs start to receive anywhere from 1-10% packet loss (example shown below).  I've further tested this to where all the PCs are off except 2, one with a packet loss monitor and one downloading a video game and it still occurs. 

Where should I start? I know this is very general so feel free to recommend or ask for any clarification/more info. 

Franklin212_0-1722444502478.png

Both MS220s are operating on MS 16.8

The MX100 is operating on MX 18.107.10

Thank you in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could use per user bandwidth  limit below the max capacity of the line.

Whats a 5 gig?  5G mobile? 5 Gbit fiber?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could use per user bandwidth  limit below the max capacity of the line.

Whats a 5 gig?  5G mobile? 5 Gbit fiber?

Franklin212
Conversationalist

Hey ww!

Thanks for the quick response, that is my current plan - I just finished matching the ports to the mac addresses (we have them go through a trunk) once I they're set to dedicated ports ill limit the bandwidth.   

My assumption was that the game clients are trying to pull as much bandwidth as possible which causes network congestion/packet loss

It is a 5Gbit Fiber line. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

5Gbit is a lot, note that Mx100 can do around 750Mbit. For gaming itself you dont need much speed,  but the updates are huge these days.  

Franklin212
Conversationalist

ww

Thank you very much, limiting the bandwidth did the trick! I'll do the math to determine how much I should limit each client.

Cheers!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.