MX68cw with LTE as primary

SOLVED
AndreasKvist
Getting noticed

MX68cw with LTE as primary

Hi, 

I´ve recieved a question regarding a router for 4G and Wifi for 2 sites where there are no WAN connectivity with fiber. I though of using the MX68cw to use as router for this use case. The MX68cw has LTE as failover and I wanted to use it as primary connection. Is it possible to use it like I want or am I just wrong?

We discussed configuring the MX68cw at a site were there is a Wan connection and then ship it to the new sites. 

Any feedback is welcome. 

BR

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Wickus
Here to help

Hi

Yes we run a site with 4G as primary so i'm sure it can be with LTE as well. I just cropped out other information.

Our model is MX68CW-WW

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 10.06.59.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Wickus
Here to help

Hi

Yes we run a site with 4G as primary so i'm sure it can be with LTE as well. I just cropped out other information.

Our model is MX68CW-WW

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 10.06.59.png

Hi

This is the best news this week!

Have a nice weekend. 

BR

Andreas

Hi, 

When you set it up, did you then use a WAN connection the first time or did you set it up directly with 4G? 

The set up is process is important since there is no WAN connection today at all. 

This unit is supposed to be used as the first link out for the new sites

Yes we first had to setup the device on another connection so that we could enter our unique APN name and then switch over to 4G

OK, 

So this could be done anywhere, just need a WAN connection, and then ship it to the intended sites. Correct?

BR

Andreas

Yes, So we did the setup in our office. Rebooted made sure 4G is working and then shipped it to site.

What you could test is the following when you have the device. Insert the sim into the router and see if it wil connect with default settings. Our mobile provider in SA is configured in such a way if you dont specify the APN name it defaults you to the internet apn. Something to have a look with your mobile network

Hi, 

OK, I will try that. Thanks. 

BR

Andreas

Paragraph taken from the Meraki documentation:

"Please note that upon first-time bootup and connection to the Meraki Cloud, an ethernet WAN connection must be used to download the initial configuration and get the device online the first time."

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Cellular/3G%2F%2F4G_Cellular_Failover_with_USB_Modems

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Fetch-Alex
New here

Has anyone tried this recently? Seems as if with version15.44 of the firmware this is no longer possible. The device will not connect to cellular at all on first boot up. Even after configuring the device via a wired link. Once you remove the WAN link it will failover to cellular but if the router ever gets rebooted cellular will not come back up.

Aztec_Ninja
Getting noticed

It can def be done.  If using the integrated LTE Modem you have to activate the MX before by connecting it to the internet via Internet 1 or Internet 2 ports.  ONce this is done you can use Cellular as your primary Internet source. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels