MX450 - WAN Ports 10Gbps AND 1Gbps SFPs?

Solved
IanH
Getting noticed

MX450 - WAN Ports 10Gbps AND 1Gbps SFPs?

Hi

I presume the 10GB WAN Ports on this linked datasheet means that both Copper MA-SFP-1GB-SX and Fibre MA-SFP-10GB-SR are both compatible for the MX450 spare WAN Ports.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf

I've seen this discussed here for the 250:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/MX250-WAN-Port-SPF-Compatibility/m-p/10300#M2560

However can't find any particular compatibility matrix to confirm, its probably as Black and White as it looks and the 2 x Spare 10Gbps Ports for the 10Gbps SFPs can be used for 1Gbps Copper, but would just like reference officially that this is the case for both types of SFP's mentioned above?

My other questions is that the MA-SFP-1GB-SX would not run at either 10/100/1000 speeds, only 1000?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The SFP+ WAN ports on the MX250/450 support both SFP+ and SFP devices. This includes the 1Gb SFP-SX module. I am using this in production today on multiple MXen. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I have the MA-SFP-1GB-SX in some of my switches and the port can be set to Auto or '1 Gbps Forced'.  I suppose, conceptually, if the other side is less than 1G it could negotiate lower but I've never seen this since my far side is the same SFP so it is equally 1G capable. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Adam wrote:

I have the MA-SFP-1GB-SX in some of my switches and the port can be set to Auto or '1 Gbps Forced'.  I suppose, conceptually, if the other side is less than 1G it could negotiate lower but I've never seen this since my far side is the same SFP so it is equally 1G capable. 

most fiber sfp can't negotiate speed. 

there are few dual rate sfp's but never seen one.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The SFP+ WAN ports on the MX250/450 support both SFP+ and SFP devices. This includes the 1Gb SFP-SX module. I am using this in production today on multiple MXen. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels