MX100 static IP lost when moved from another network

SOLVED
francktls
Getting noticed

MX100 static IP lost when moved from another network

Dear Meraki Community,

Be careful when moving an appliance to another network, event if a static IP is configured on the device using local status page.

I tried to move that appliance to another network and it lost its static IP !! So I need to ask again our FE to connect on the appliance and configure again the static IP !

I think there is an issue, a manually-locally configured static IP should NEVER be removed automatically.

Is there a way to restore it ?

Many thanks,

Franck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
francktls
Getting noticed

Hello @Adam,

And you know what ? Now I have recovered the second MX ! 

Security Appliances - Meraki Dashboard - Google Chrome.jpg

Exactly 2hrs later...

In fact, it's very useful if you ask somebody to move physically a MX to another network, It'll loose its static config in case you have DHCP on new site. So you don't have to connect to the device and remove static IP. No need of FE on site in that case.

Brilliant !

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Franck,

I understand the physical IP shall remain in MX unless we Reset or Update from the Dashboard.

To move a MX we need to remove it from one network then add to another.

In the process of removal do we loose the physical IP? That's is a question.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Moving_Devices_Betwee...

Excerpts from above Url.

MX Security Appliances

Since a Security Appliance only contains one MX device (or two identical devices in a warm spare configuration), there is rarely a need to move an MX from one network to another. As such there is no dedicated move tool.

To move an MX security appliance between networks, it can be manually removed from one network and added into another. Please refer to our documentation for more information.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Interesting, in my experience, the static IP information is independent of any dashboard moves.  All the MX config stuff gets overwritten by the network config though. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @francktls,

The dashboard tells you it's going to lose its static config as soon as you hit the remove device link. It's right there in red lettering.

image.png

After the move you can restore it via the local status page, or if there's DHCP on that link you can get it online with the dynamic, then set the static via the dashboard provided you are on newer firmware.

Hello @jdsilva 

You're right, I saw this warning ! English is not my mother language but as far as I understand, they say "may be lost" and not "will be lost", that means it's a possibility. That's why I decided to move the device.

Little explanation of why I've moved the device :

I use to create hubs with 2x MX100 (one active, one warm spare). I create network and configure settings, then when the field engg is on site and power up devices, configure static IPs on each device, they never connect to the meraki cloud properly. Finally after many issues like this, I understood the issue and applied a workaround :

I remove both MXes from the original network, create a new basic network for each device.

They came back online for the first time, download new firmware, then reboot.

Then I assigned it back to the original network (1 master, 1 warm spare MX)

I done this before, and they never lost their static IP, this is the first time it happens...

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @francktls, I pulled a MX64 out of a network the other day and put it into a new network and it wouldn't check-in.  I had to log into its local status page to remove the static IP from the internet port so it could revert to DHCP to check-in.  So I'm not sure of the consistency on this.  Maybe if you set it locally you have to edit/remove it locally vs setting the uplink via dashboard?

francktls
Getting noticed

Got good news ! 2 hours later, I recovered MX 🙂

I think they never loose their static IP config but keep it somewhere and reuse it by itself later. Why ? Probably because Meraki devices are configured to use any way possible to get online.

I tried again to move the secondary appliance from its own network to the target network to be the warm spare.

Same behavior. Let's wait & see if it come back to up within 2 hours...

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Glad to hear you got it back working 🙂

francktls
Getting noticed

Hello @Adam,

And you know what ? Now I have recovered the second MX ! 

Security Appliances - Meraki Dashboard - Google Chrome.jpg

Exactly 2hrs later...

In fact, it's very useful if you ask somebody to move physically a MX to another network, It'll loose its static config in case you have DHCP on new site. So you don't have to connect to the device and remove static IP. No need of FE on site in that case.

Brilliant !

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Weird... I would have thought maybe four hours, not two. Oh well, glad it's back! 

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Behavior_during_Conn...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels