MX upgrades only on the hour

SOLVED
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX upgrades only on the hour

I'm sure that in the past, when you asked an MX network to upgrade now, it used to happen within 20 minutes or so.  Now it only upgrades at the next hour mark with the primary MX going at 7 past and the auxilliary at 23 past.

I guess it is more consistent and in line with the scheduled option, but you do end up needing to wait over an hour if you are unlucky and wanting a quick change...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rwiesmann
A model citizen

I just did an upgrade with an MX84. And I guess I have the same issue...it schedules the upgrade. In my case in 21 minutes. I guess this is what you mentioned initially?

rwiesmann_0-1611135622068.png

If I go again onto the schedule icon...i can force it to do it now and it will start immediately.

so this maid be a way to go, but it takes one more step.

rogerr

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same here. I was Wartung for „Upgrade now“ for more than 20 minutes. Even more so, I‘m still seing the „you MX will be upgraded to 15.42 on X at Y am“ when logging in to the Dashboard even though the upgrade has been performed manually.

I personally don‘t mind that much about that, but could imagine customers being bugged about that.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@CptnCrnch I saw that as well a few days ago, though the dashboard alert seems better for me today, it is showing on the networks where there is a future scheduled upgrade, but not on those already upgraded.

I think it would be nice if there was a dashboard release notes section, similar to the firmware notes, so we know what we are seeing is to be expected and not a bug.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I found it use to upgrade almost instantly when I have used this option in the past i.e. with 3-4 mins

I’m with you @BlakeRichardson. Click upgrade now, wait a few minutes then the upgrade happens. Seems a backward step to click and then wait 20+ minutes for the upgrade to kick in.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'll raise your 20+ with a ~50 minute wait... 🤦‍♂️

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nooooooooooo! Just click and shut the laptop lid.

And thank you for all the Alerts 😁

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@cmr if it's an HA pair, I'd expect the roughly 20 minutes or so, as there's a 15-minute delay built in.  But I had not heard of MX upgrades recently being changed to operate on the hour.  Let me know which model of MX and if you're standalone or HA pair.  Will check into it. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @MerakiDave it happened to two different MX84 HA pairs.  I have an MX100 and MX250 HA pair left to upgrade and will report back as those go through.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @MerakiDave, I just scheduled the upgrade of the MX100 HA pair for 'now' at 9:01am and will be waiting over an hour until about 10:07am by the look of it...

Screenshot_20210120-090222_Chrome.jpg

Hi MerakiDave
It would be great to get clarity on this.
Am upgrading a pair of MX450s tonight and the customer is not going to want to hear there's a 50min delay, like @cmr .

Also clarity on the timings.
I know the scheduler drop-down only allows it on the hour, but other posts here suggest these get pushed back at 20m intervals, or is that coincidence and it's random, as it's a cloud based service and has to service lots of folk, and depends on load at any given time ?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is fixed now, now is within a few minutes.  If you schedule it is a bit after the hour for the first and then the usual delay for the second.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same here: upgrading from 15.42 to 16.4 had a delay of under 5 minutes

Brave man - bleeding edge !  ;-]
I guess you know too, I did a 'upgrade now' and it says scheduled for 6 or 7m time, if you go and reschedule and do another 'upgrade now' it claims to start it immediately saving the wait.

rwiesmann
A model citizen

I just did an upgrade with an MX84. And I guess I have the same issue...it schedules the upgrade. In my case in 21 minutes. I guess this is what you mentioned initially?

rwiesmann_0-1611135622068.png

If I go again onto the schedule icon...i can force it to do it now and it will start immediately.

so this maid be a way to go, but it takes one more step.

rogerr

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @rwiesmann that does work and isn't too bad, but it reinforces the point that it would be nice to have some release notes...

rwiesmann
A model citizen

Thanks to you @cmr, without your poste i probably would not have seen it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels