MX WAN Uplink : 2 WAN + LTE or 1 WAN + LTE

SOLVED
etalaveran
Conversationalist

MX WAN Uplink : 2 WAN + LTE or 1 WAN + LTE

Hi

The MX has 2 Uplink WAN interfaces and some models like MX67C 1 LTE Uplink.

• Can I use both WAN links + LTE?
  • If I Use 1 WAN Link and a LTE link, it's possible to balance or apply traffic policies in both links?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

But I don't know if with this upgrade the MX will use 2 Ethernet WAN + 1 LTE WAN Link

Nope, even when this does come it will still only be a dual WAN device. 1x Ethernet WAN + 1x LTE WAN, or the traditional 2 x Ethernet WAN. You won’t be able to do two Ethernet and also LTE all as fully functioning WAN interfaces.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@etalaveran @The below link will help you to describe everything 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Load_Balancing_and_Flow_Preferen...

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The built-in LTE, or an external USB LTE can only be used for failover.

To use the LTE at the same time you need to use something like an MG21 - a cellular gateway.  You then plug that into WAN2, and you can then use both your primary Internet circuit and the LTE at the same time.

The MX67C has a single built in WAN port, but you cna re-configure the first LAN port to be a second WAN port, WAN2.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/MX67%2F%2FMX68_Installation_Guide#Setting... 

Thanks.

In a product update session it was announced that the buil-in LTE will be used as normal WAN link not only for failover.

But I don't know if with this upgrade the MX will use 2 Ethernet WAN + 1 LTE WAN Link

Regards

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Nope, even when this does come it will still only be a dual WAN device. 1x Ethernet WAN + 1x LTE WAN, or the traditional 2 x Ethernet WAN. You won’t be able to do two Ethernet and also LTE all as fully functioning WAN interfaces.

ZeeBoussaid
Getting noticed

I thought the MX 16.2 release suppose to add LTE support to be used as un uplink instead of only being used for failover.

ZeeBoussaid_0-1619634662799.png

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@ZeeBoussaid it was in the closed beta for MX16 but isn’t there in MX16.4 that went to public beta. It’s still a feature that is ‘coming’, hopefully within the next few months (we’ll see). It probably wasn’t as stable as Meraki wanted in the closed beta.

So yes, if all things align, you will be able to use the cellular modem in the MX67C as a full WAN link, not just as failover. But remember it will be 1x Ethernet WAN and 1x LTE WAN (there won’t be an option for two Ethernet plus LTE all as WAN ports).

hdoramane
Comes here often

Hello 

any news if LTE Active wan is supported in 16.7 and when will be available ? 

Many thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels