Clear Configuration of MX68 From Network

MFisher
Here to help

Clear Configuration of MX68 From Network

I am working with a MX68 to test a few things before implementation.  I need to be able to clear the config of the MX68 almost like a factory reset but remotely.  I can only find the "Solution" of moving the device to a new network.  However this only keeps the empty base config within that NEW network. 

Example: Moving the MX from Network 1 to Network 2 applies the base config of Network 2 but when moving the MX back to Network 1 the old config is re-applied.

How do I clear the config within a Network for a specific MX or MS device?

11 REPLIES 11
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I think your way of thinking about Meraki is not totally right.

Config is a property of a network, not of a device. The device operates in the manner dictated by the network it is a part of, not by any configuration stored on it (You could consider an exception to this being when a device loses connectivity to the cloud it still operates, but the truth is that it must be part of a network before losing connectivity to do that. The config is till a property of the network)

If you truly want a "default" device then remove it from every network and do not add it to anther. This will cause the device to connect to the cloud, and effectively sit and wait for further instructions.

I understand the config is within the Network, that's my problem.  Say I want to return the config for that device within the Network to a default state.  How can that be done?

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Can can remove the appliance and put it back in?Capture.PNG

Enthusiast

Removing the device from a Network and then adding it back in still keeps the config for the MX.

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi

I understand your approach of moving devices between networks are the only options to bring the configuration to defaults.

I do not see any option of resetting the configuration to default for selected device on the dashboard.

One Idea could be to refer the change log and revert the settings. However this may not be accurate and is a BIG pain.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

you can't. you can move it to network 2 and just remove network 1?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Haha! Everyone typing at once!

MFisher
Here to help

The problem with that would be losing configuration of other devices still in that old network that I wanted to keep the same.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

you can split the network. and then move it

MFisher
Here to help

That sounds like the best available solution, thanks!

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Create 3 networks. Default, Production, and Testing(Beta). Change the settings in the networks accordingly, that way Default has no changes. Production has your confirmed good working changes, and Testing is the ones you are working on.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels