AUTOVPN MX84 with Z3C, 4G Failover

Solved
NDIAYE
Conversationalist

AUTOVPN MX84 with Z3C, 4G Failover

Hello, how are you.
I have a problem, when my WAN1 uplink at Z3C drops, the 4G chip takes over and provides internet access but the VPN status is not up.
What to do so that the VPN switchover also takes place on 4G.
Some suggestions please

1 Accepted Solution
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

So long as you can access the internet in general through the cellular link, then If AutoVPN never worked on cellular then I’d suggest you have a conversation with your 4G carrier - it’s possible they’re blocking traffic that is preventing the tunnel coming up. The other option is to call support and they can help troubleshoot where the issue is.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @NDIAYE , that should come up automatically, well, within a few seconds of failing over.  How long are you leaving it whilst testing the failover?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
NDIAYE
Conversationalist

HI @DarrenOC  ,  more than 5 minutes. Also note that the cellular interface has an ip address.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

do you have any firewall rules setup for the cellular interface which could be blocking the vpn?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
NDIAYE
Conversationalist

no there is no firewall rule. This is the default configuration found there

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does the vpn work when you disconnect the wan1 cable? 

Did it work before?

NDIAYE
Conversationalist

with the WAN1 link the vpn works well but when I unplug the WAN1 cable and the switchover is done on the 4G connection, the state of the VPN is not active

NDIAYE
Conversationalist

@ww  with the WAN1 link the vpn works well but when I unplug the WAN1 cable and the switchover is done on the 4G connection, the state of the VPN is not active

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

but did it ever work on 4g? because it can be 4g provider related. 

I would however contact support for help with troubleshooting. packets captures etc.

NDIAYE
Conversationalist

@ww no, it never works with 4G.
Is linked to a configuration problem at the autovpn level?

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

So long as you can access the internet in general through the cellular link, then If AutoVPN never worked on cellular then I’d suggest you have a conversation with your 4G carrier - it’s possible they’re blocking traffic that is preventing the tunnel coming up. The other option is to call support and they can help troubleshoot where the issue is.

NDIAYE
Conversationalist

Thanks a lot for your answers . I'll see the operator then. Thank you for your help

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels