Meraki Certifications

SOLVED
Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

Meraki Certifications

I am currently a CMNO. @btevans995 wrote a post asking about access areas for CMNA and Masters. How does one become a CMNA or a Master?

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BradB
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi all, I can weigh in here, as my team owns Meraki trainings and certifications. CMNA and CMNO both cover the full Meraki product stack with a medium level of depth across the board. The main difference is that CMNA is intended for those positioning and selling Meraki, and CMNO is intended for those operating Meraki networks. As such, the content is presented in a somewhat different way in each course. But neither is more in-depth, and one is not the precursor for the other. 

We've definitely heard the request for more in-depth, self-directed trainings as a follow-up to CMNA or CMNO, and that's a big area of focus for my team this year. So stay tuned for more over the coming months. 

To that end, are there any particular areas in which any of you would like to go deeper? Thoughts on the best way to structure these advanced trainings? I'd love any input. 

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mr_IT_Guy 

CMNA and Masters are programs for Meraki partners - https://meraki.cisco.com/partners/. CMNO is the certification for customers.

Cheers!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

@CarolineS does Meraki have any plans for CMNOs to eventually be allowed to become CMNA or a Master?

@Mr_IT_Guy wrote:

@CarolineS does Meraki have any plans for CMNOs to eventually be allowed to become CMNA or a Master?

I too have asked about this, with some of the Meraki marketing management. But the more Meraki employees we pester about it, the better. Judging from some of the deployments I've seen mentioned here, a lot of the "end-users" likely make much more significant purchases than some of the partners who may just be resellers or VARs. It would be nice to be recognized as well with advanced training opportunities.

BHC Resorts IT Department
BradB
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi all, I can weigh in here, as my team owns Meraki trainings and certifications. CMNA and CMNO both cover the full Meraki product stack with a medium level of depth across the board. The main difference is that CMNA is intended for those positioning and selling Meraki, and CMNO is intended for those operating Meraki networks. As such, the content is presented in a somewhat different way in each course. But neither is more in-depth, and one is not the precursor for the other. 

We've definitely heard the request for more in-depth, self-directed trainings as a follow-up to CMNA or CMNO, and that's a big area of focus for my team this year. So stay tuned for more over the coming months. 

To that end, are there any particular areas in which any of you would like to go deeper? Thoughts on the best way to structure these advanced trainings? I'd love any input. 

NFL0NR
Getting noticed

that's kinda silly.. why not just have one cert?

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

Thanks @BradB for clearing up the distinction.  I am currently a CMNO but would also love the ability to pitch Meraki equipment to other teams and clubs that I've worked with or consulted for.  I think it's a much easier sell to others when you are actively using the product in practice.  Also, the ability to develop plugins and extensions for the Meraki dashboard would be an awesome training course that I would definitely sign up for.

BradB
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@MerakiJockey505 are you referring to trainings around how to leverage the Meraki APIs? Is that something that you're looking to do with your organization?

If that's what you meant, it's something that we're looking at. 

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

@BradB, Yes definitely!  I've followed some of the work being done with Location Analytics API and 3rd Party integration and would love to see that kind of development utilize some of the other devices for various applications such as Penetration testing and more in-depth security application.  A training along that lines and a corresponding cert program would be awesome!

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Given the way Meraki products are administered, I certainly get the argument for one big cert. The problem with that (as I think anyone with CMNO/CMNA would know) is that it doesn't allow for a ton of depth to the cert. 

@BradB I'd be very interested in certs for each product line that go into much more depth than CMNO did. I did really like the time and format of CMNO, so shooting for that with these other certs would be great. Given the simplicity of even the most complex deployments, I don't think this would be impossible. Self paced/self administered would be really, really nice as well. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
NFL0NR
Getting noticed

If the CMNO and CMNA are covering the full stack then why wouldn't the CMNO be eligible for Meraki Masters?

@NFL0NR, don't you think we should also be eligible for the polo 😄

It is a pretty sweet polo..

@Mr_IT_Guy wrote:

@NFL0NR, don't you think we should also be eligible for the polo 😄

I think I had to buy about $250k worth of equipment before I got mine!

BHC Resorts IT Department

Oh.... We've easily done that.. I think our very first order with Meraki was $200k

DarkStar
Getting noticed

@BradBThat sound backwards. The CMNO operator is the end-user the one with the most knowledge and the partner gets the CMNA administrator/associate ???? Should have CMP for the partners and CMNA for the end-users/operators/admins and CMNP for the professionals.

@BradB wrote:

CMNA and CMNO both cover the full Meraki product stack with a medium level of depth across the board.  CMNO is intended for those operating Meraki networks.

To quote the Meraki website

The Certified Meraki Network Operator certification is a full day commitment for IT professionals with CCNA (or equivalent) networking knowledge.

My question is the following: If the CMNO is aimed at professions with CCNA (or equivalent) networking knowledge, how is the it possible for members in my organization who 1.) have limited exposure to Meraki and 2.) have little to no networking experience/knowledge to be passing this exam? I understand that this is a free certification and that I probably shouldn't be putting much weight into this, but for it to be touted as a CCNA level certification only to have it passed by though without the knowledge is a bit discouraging.

Any thoughts?

BradB
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Mr_IT_Guy, maybe I can provide some clarification here. We don't intend to position CMNO as a CCNA-level certification. In fact, the objectives of the two trainings are very different. Whereas CCNA serves as foundational training in the fundamentals of networking through the lens of Cisco, CMNO is intended to give Meraki users the context and confidence that they need to operate Meraki networks.

We do ask that participants have solid networking fundamentals (CCNA-level) to participate in CMNO because we believe that those fundamentals are required in order to get value out of the experience. 

Hopefully that helps to clarify, and I hope that the members of your organization that went through CMNO found it helpful in their operation of a Meraki network!

Hey Brad are you guys working with the Cisco Networking Academy on any course material that we can either add to the CCNA classes or host as an independent Meraki class? These days I've got a fair number of students interested in both Meraki solutions and Software Defined Networking topics.

@BradB I recently completed the CMNO.  I'd like to see a training course based around each set of Monitor and Configure tools (Network-wide, Teleworker gateway), each one it's own couple hour to half day class that goes much more in depth on each and the capabilities.  Feels like having a hands on course would really help with the "How to's" with Meraki.  Also since there can be different levels of administrators, a course aimed at usage in that role?

abba3939
Conversationalist

I would like to just be considered for the CMNO.  I was rejected said I was not a customer, in the last year and may not be a lot to some but have spent close to $20000 on Meraki Equipment!  How much do I have spend to be considered a customer?

BradB
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @abba3939, I'm sorry for the confusion here! I took a look, and it appears that our registration system made an error in associating you with your organization. Sorry for the inconvenience. While there's strong demand for CMNO training sessions and we can't always accept everyone into the session for which they register, I would encourage you to try again to sign up for a spot. Thanks for your interest and your business!

Adoos
Building a reputation

Hopefully it doesn't turn into CCNA/Cisco traditional style certs where 80% of people end up using paid tests before the exams due to the content of the certs. Major issue in the cert industry. 

Is there certification ID for CMNA?
Adoos
Building a reputation

Sure is, just like any other certification. 

@Fernandovila31 wrote:
Is there certification ID for CMNA?

Hi @Fernandovila31 - there are no certificate numbers associated with CMNAs. Are you filling out Certification info on LinkedIn (per these instructions)? If so, you can just leave the "License Number" field blank for your CMNA.

Meraki are missing a trick here, I am an Cisco Certified Wireless Engineer with considerable experience on small to large indoor and outdoor Wireless installations and thought I would put in for the CMNO so I could get a better handle on Meraki especially since its merger with Cisco. 

I have been turned down as I don't sell Meraki, bit of "Chicken and the egg" going on here how do I get involved if you won't allow me to?   Perhaps charge for the CMNO if needed?  Oh well back to Cisco where it seems to be a bit more easier to get involved.

@Typhoon777 the CMNO course is for end users, you not selling Meraki gear shouldn't be a factor with trying to sit this course. I know priority for CMNO is given to people who are exisiting / new customers as opposed to people who are just interested. 

That being said I don't know why you would have been turned down. Meraki training is a bit of a sore point with a few people here. 

Blake, I don't think the existing/new customer criteria is part of the equation either let me explain.  I am an independent Wireless Consultant but regularly contract to some of the biggest players in the UK wireless market.  I initially applied via my own email and details etc and was declined due to not being a Meraki partner etc.  

I then spoke to one of the Meraki partners I work for from time to time and applied with my email based there, then had a reply back.."It is only certain Meraki partners  being offered places at the moment"  So my options now are apply again from one of the larger companies I work for or just walk away.  If the criteria was made more visible at the application stage then this whole process wouldn't be some time consuming and negative.  I know I fall through the Meraki partner criteria initially but if that was clear from the onset I wouldn't have applied as an individual Wireless Consultant in the first place.

I agree about the sore point 100% 

@CarolineS wrote:

CMNA and Masters are programs for Meraki partners - https://meraki.cisco.com/partners/. CMNO is the certification for customers.

Just adding to my earlier comment - we now have a CMNO Resource center here on the community that may help in answering additional CMNO-related questions. 

Hi Caroline,

FYi below is the response for my application for CMNO course place from Meraki:

Hi Mick,

Thank you for your interest in CMNO (Certified Meraki Network Operator) on Wednesday August, 01, 2018 9am BST. Unfortunately we are only offering spots in the program to a select group of Meraki resellers at this time. We'll be looking to open CMNO to our full reseller community in the future as the program continues to grow. You may also have been declined because you attended CMNA or work in a pre-sales role. 

@Typhoon777 wrote:

Hi Caroline,

FYi below is the response for my application for CMNO course place from Meraki:

Hi Mick,

Thank you for your interest in CMNO (Certified Meraki Network Operator) on Wednesday August, 01, 2018 9am BST. Unfortunately we are only offering spots in the program to a select group of Meraki resellers at this time. We'll be looking to open CMNO to our full reseller community in the future as the program continues to grow. You may also have been declined because you attended CMNA or work in a pre-sales role. 

Hi @Typhoon777 - Yes, as the CMNO course is designed for Meraki customers, there's only limited availability for resellers. But, it's indeed true that we are looking to widen the program and add more training options over time. Stay tuned!

CapitolG
Conversationalist

At the Meraki Partners website you can see available dates for CMNA. It's free and fun. I took the class about a month ago and learned some new cool things.

I also took the CNMA about a month ago.  Did you get your polo shirt or equipment yet?

Ryan-Zimmerle
Getting noticed

I also would like to see some addition options around Cisco Meraki certifications, to include the CMNA.  As a customer, I see value in the CMNA, I constantly have to sell solutions / products to management ever year.  Budgeting, 5 YR plans, Erate Category 2 availability, etc.  While perhaps I am not selling the product direct to a customer, many of us selling it to "someone".  I am drinking the Meraki cool-aid and some additional options here will keep it sweet.  

Ryan    

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just came across this and saw that the question about Meraki Masters was not answered, why is someone who has sat the CMNO course not have access to the Masters course. I would evening be willing to pay for it as I have the rest of the certifications I have. 

It seems bizarre we cannot get full product training, the people are asking but it doesn't sound like we are being heard, a lot of the members here are customers!

@BlakeRichardson, to be fair, @BradB did ask what kind of advanced training we as CMNO holders were looking for and only one person responded. He even explained how the different certifications worked. While I agree we should be able to take the Masters course, that is not the case right now; however, what we can do is leverage this forum and try to get more advanced training.

@BradB - to answer your question 5 months later... the type of advanced training I'm looking would be similar to what is covered in the Meraki Masters training. Seeing as how CMNO and CMNA are essentially the same thing just aimed at different targets, you can make the customer version of Meraki Masters called Meraki Jedi. Just gotta get clear that with George Lucas!

Welcome to quantum qualifications.

CMNO and CMNA are functionally equivalent and not equivalent.

They are the Schrödingers. Or, if you must, the Erwins.

At the end of the day it is all about massaging the egos of the folk who do the marketing.

There should definitely be qualifications for people who obtain proficiency in using the API and writing the code appropriately. And by that I mean that it should go beyond a basic understanding of what the api calls do, and embrace the generally accepted coding practices for the language concerned, be it Python, Node.js or NodeRed.

Location analytics is probably another specialty worthy of its own qualification.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Mr_IT_Guy @BradB Absolutely agree on the need for higher level training/certs that customers have access too. It looks like Masters (technically CMNP?) is being given to both partners and inside SE's now - https://community.meraki.com/t5/Community-Tips-Tricks/Community-profile-badges-the-master-list/td-p/... (@MerakiDave when will I see this badge on your profile!?). It'd be very interesting to see this opened up for customers or a modified version. 

I think it's now very clear that CMNO is a very, very low level cert. I see lots of people with CMNO certs throughout the community asking questions that should be covered by a cert. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
CHN
Conversationalist

Hi,

I m currently working on Meraki MX, MS & MR and we were recently deployed this device for one our customer. Now we need certification from Meraki.

Can you please suggest me. How, i do the certification in Meraki.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@CHN This is the CMNO info/signup page: https://meraki.cisco.com/webinars/cmno

MRCUR | CMNO #12

sorry for late reply, I just came across this.

I'm a new Meraki customer who has a somewhat lengthy background in network administration and network security devices.

The most challenging part of operating Meraki, for which I would love to see some content is in the areas of troubleshooting and reporting.  Because they security appliances are so "simple" in their feature set, I have found it challenging to address these areas. 

Its almost as if the lack of complexity has made things more difficult.  Additional training in the Meraki-suggested way of handling these things would be appreciated

Zane D - IT Manager in Sin City NV
Adoos
Building a reputation

I completed the CMNO cert a few weeks ago, it was very basic and provided you with a touch and feel of the full stack followed by a root cause scenario of the stack. This was the better part as made you click around different menus troubleshooting various problems. I would recommend taking the course. I would be interested to know what areas of troubleshooting you were finding difficult in the Meraki dashboard. 

Cheers

Adam

I had several users who couldn't browse the internet.  I wasn't sure where to see if they had violated a web filter policy or if it was a traffic routing issue, firewall rule, etc...

again, i'm brand-new to Meraki and more familiar with full-featured security appliances with more traditional logging abilities. These products feel very limiting right now, but I'm still in the break-in period.

CaliforniaBlue
Conversationalist

I took the CMNO cert about a month ago and I enjoyed it. The best part was definitely the troubleshooting portion trying to figure out the root cause scenario. I do wish we could get something a little more in-depth in the future.

CMNO

I just finished the CMNO as well.

it was fine, I suppose.  It wasn't much in the way of actual training.

Also, the lab portion did not at all actually train for the issues that were introduced in the troubleshooting section.

I found that it was artificially hard because they created Meraki-specific problems that were never discussed in the "training" portion of the class.  It seemed like everyone in the class struggled with the same exercise, because it was related to a problem that only happens with Meraki, not a general network/security problem.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.