DEP Profiles

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

DEP Profiles

I created most of our DEP profiles awhile ago, we have different profiles for different parts of the business i.e. supervised devices and non supervised devices. 

The problem is that once you create these settings you cannot edit them in any way. I've spoken with a few people including our contact at Apple and other vendors do support being able to edit these profiles. The reason you would want to do this is because when Apple release new feature such as screen time these often generate a setup screen which most of the time we want to skip and currently the only way we can do this with Meraki is to create a new DEP profile....

Can Meraki PLEASE look at changing this as I estimate in 3-4 years time I am going to have a stupid amount of profiles just because of new features that are added in.

4 REPLIES 4
beks88
A model citizen

Bumping this up again to gain awareness how frustrating it is not being able to edit these profiles. Made also a wish.

There are scenarios like iOS 13 launch, where it looked like some functions or API calls got deprecated or even new mandatory windows got added. So we haven't been able to activate our devices and have been forced to create a new profile from scratch

I can imagine a scenario like this:
In SM we should be able to edit the settings and in the background SM can create a new version of the profile and push it to Apple Business Manager. (According to dashboard, Apple doesn't allow the deletion of DEP profiles)

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Hi @BlakeRichardson,

We are in the same boat, but ultimately made the decision not to introduce new DEP profiles. This means we know how a device will re-act across our estates when pushing iOS updates.

For a cooperate environment, DEP profile settings should be opt-in or at least by passable remotely via a normal payload.

Thank you,

Peter James

Richard_W
A model citizen

Blake,

This just occurred to me as i'm about to test a double whammy of M1 MacBook Air with Big Sur - it is great that Meraki adds the new features to DEP enrollment but does not allow editing of a DEP profile to take into consideration these changes.

And am i correct that in order to apply a new DEP profile to an existing Mac i would have to erase said Mac?

If so this seems, as you indicate, an inordinate amount of pain.

Why Meraki, why?

T1
Building a reputation

We don't enroll Macs via DEP but with iPads profiles for iOS 12 and iOS 13 are not completely interchangeable. We had a case when iOS 12 device wouldn't activate with iOS 13 profile or other way around. We do skip as much steps as possible though, so I think the reason might lie in additional steps introduced in iOS 13.

iOS 13 profile works fine with iOS 14 device though.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels