How many licenses do I need?

SOLVED
TaniaSanchez
Here to help

How many licenses do I need?

Hi,

The documentation says I need a collector for the MI and that the collector needs a license. Then it says that the license is applied per network.

So my question is: If I have a customer with 26 MX64 and I want them to use MI. Do I need 26 licenses one per MX or just one LIC-MI-S-3YR on one of the network?

I am guessing the S license is fine as this device is the MX64 and each site doesn´t have more than 100Mb.

Thanks!

T.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think the term "network" is causing some confusion here. It is not an IP-network, but the element in the dashboard where you apply your devices to. And each dashboard-network can only have one MX (or two in HA) assigned. 

Each dashboard-network (with an MX assigned to) where you want to have MI running, needs an appropriate license based on the MX-throughput.

Example:

I have a HQ with an MX100 and four branches with MX84s. Each Branch has multiple IP networks but still is one dashboard-network. I need one license for the HQ and four licenses for all my branches if all sites need MI.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The license you need relates directly to the model of MX, and yes the MX64 uses the LIC-MI-S-xYR license. You need one license per MX, but this can also be described as one per network since a network can only have a single MX (exception is HA MX, but the only one is active).

Unless you want to monitor all MXs at once there is no need to purchase a license for them all. You can move the license around as needed, so if you only want to monitor/troubleshoot a couple of MXs at a time you can just buy two licenses and move them between MXs as you need - or you can buy licenses for all of them if you want (that would make your Meraki AM happier 🙂)

Hi @Bruce,

Thanks for the reply but you are referring to network as one single site. The Meraki classification of network is actually an enterprise. One Network has many different sites and each site will have, as you say, one MX (or two in case of high availability).

Hence again we come to the one license per network (enterprise with many MX routers one per site).

What you say is that the license moves around to different MX routers, but in the documentation the license is applied to a network, not to a router.

So what I think here is that if you have 26 MX of one type you need a single MI license to cover them. Then if you have an MX of a different type you need to make sure the MI license covers your new type.

Does this make sense?

I think the term "network" is causing some confusion here. It is not an IP-network, but the element in the dashboard where you apply your devices to. And each dashboard-network can only have one MX (or two in HA) assigned. 

Each dashboard-network (with an MX assigned to) where you want to have MI running, needs an appropriate license based on the MX-throughput.

Example:

I have a HQ with an MX100 and four branches with MX84s. Each Branch has multiple IP networks but still is one dashboard-network. I need one license for the HQ and four licenses for all my branches if all sites need MI.

Thanks @KarstenI

I knew one network was not just a single IP range, but I think I confused the term "network" with "organisation".

Essentially I need one license per site, which really is the same as one per MX unless I have HA on the site.

Thanks!

Correct.

If you are going to buy MI for all sites, and you already have the Security-license, you should calculate if it would be better to upgrade from the Security- to the SD-WAN-license. The SD-WAN-license already includes MI and some more other features.

Managing Licensing

Meraki Insight licensing is applied on a per-Network basis so each network that is implementing Meraki Insight will require the appropriate license to be applied to that Network. After claiming the licenses like normal Dashboard licenses they can be managed by going to Insight > Configure > Licensing. From this page, we can see how many of each type of Insight license is available and how many are currently applied to existing Networks. This works similarly to the Device Count and License Limit counts on the regular License Info page.

Enthusiast
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.