Combining Network Types

SOLVED
Shadius
Building a reputation

Combining Network Types

Hi all,

My organization has separate networks for the MX, MR and MS. Essentially, an appliance, wireless, and switch network. 

The switch network type was the newest one created and it was created as a combined type.

I would like to combine these three networks into one. How do I go about combining the three networks and will I lose any configurations?

I can provide screenshots if needed. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Yes, if you delete a network the configuration will be lost.

If the network that your switches are in is a combined network then you need to split the combined network so that you can then combine the Switch network with your other Appliance and Wireless networks. When you split a combined network you potentially get multiple networks. E.g. if your network is called 'Site A Switch' you'll potentially get 'Site A Switch - appliance', 'Site A Switch - switch', and 'Site A Switch - wireless' networks. If you only had switches in that network then the two new networks, 'Site A Switch - appliance' and 'Site A Switch - wireless', should be empty and can safely be deleted.

You'll then have the appliance network and wireless network that you originally had, plus the new 'Site A Switch - switch' network that was created from splitting the combined network. At this point you can combine those networks into a single network.

Hopefully this explains it a little better.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Shadius : check out below document by Meraki on combining networks 

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Organizations_and_Networks/Combined_Dashboar...

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

You shouldn't loose any configurations. You'll have to do the following...

1. Split the Combined 'Switch' Network

2. Delete the Appliance and Wireless networks that result from the split (make sure they're empty)

3. Combine the remaining Appliance, Switch and Combined

You do the split and combine actions from the 'All Networks' view.

Shadius
Building a reputation

The combined network type only contains the MS devices. It is the only network type that is combined.

The remaining two are appliance type and wireless type.

I'm assuming if I delete any networks, the configurations will be lost.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Yes, if you delete a network the configuration will be lost.

If the network that your switches are in is a combined network then you need to split the combined network so that you can then combine the Switch network with your other Appliance and Wireless networks. When you split a combined network you potentially get multiple networks. E.g. if your network is called 'Site A Switch' you'll potentially get 'Site A Switch - appliance', 'Site A Switch - switch', and 'Site A Switch - wireless' networks. If you only had switches in that network then the two new networks, 'Site A Switch - appliance' and 'Site A Switch - wireless', should be empty and can safely be deleted.

You'll then have the appliance network and wireless network that you originally had, plus the new 'Site A Switch - switch' network that was created from splitting the combined network. At this point you can combine those networks into a single network.

Hopefully this explains it a little better.

Shadius
Building a reputation

Thank you @Bruce

That makes a lot more sense.

So even though the network that contains only the MS devices is a combined type, I'll have to split that and I'll get three networks such as an appliance type, wireless type, and whatever other type category there is. So the resulting networks I'll get from splitting this combined type network would give me an empty appliance type and wireless type.

Just making sure I understand correctly.

Will I lose any configurations on the switches from the combined network that I split?

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Will I lose any configurations on the switches from the combined network that I split?

@Shadius : Answer is No, you will not lose any configurations at all. You are safe 🙂 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@Shadius, yes that is correct. And when you split a network you won't lose any configuration on the switches. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.