Client Dashboard displaying OS as 'Other' instead of 'Windows 10'

SOLVED
its_Tricky83
Here to help

Client Dashboard displaying OS as 'Other' instead of 'Windows 10'

I know the Client Dashboard (Network Wide > Monitor > Clients) uses DHCP OS Fingerprinting to gather each client OS version, however, I'm starting to wonder if anyone else actually has their 'Windows 10' devices displaying as 'Windows 10' in the 'OS' column/field?

The majority of our Windows clients are a mix of Windows 10 1809 and slowly moving to 20H2 (as we iron out some known bugs with 20H2 in domain environments)

The 'Manufacturer' is detected properly, but rather than stating 'Windows 10' as the OS, it just shows 'Other'. It's not a deal breaker at the moment but I curious if I'm alone 

The clients are all connected via Meraki MS Switches. The Dashboard detects all other details correctly, eg: Hostname, IP, Mac Address, VLAN, Manufacturer. 

So it's simply the OS that bugs me! Anyone else have proof that 'Windows 10' is being detected as the OS in their environment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NFL0NR
Getting noticed

the dashboard has NEVER shown devices or OS's accurately.  We have a postage meter that shows up as an Xbox.
I wouldn't put much stock in it.  I think my personal favorite is the "iPhone" running windows 10

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@its_Tricky83 Looking at my dashboard MS devices simply show as Windows, it doesn't mention if they are Win 7 or 10.

It is a bit hit and miss as I have some iOS and some MacOS devices showing as being other. 

Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

Same for me.

My windows machine gets recognised as "Other" and one linux server too.

Windows Machine is also part of MDM, sadly they don't mix the information on the same combined network =(

NFL0NR
Getting noticed

the dashboard has NEVER shown devices or OS's accurately.  We have a postage meter that shows up as an Xbox.
I wouldn't put much stock in it.  I think my personal favorite is the "iPhone" running windows 10

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Like everyone else, the OS field isn’t something I’ve ever relied on - the best one I’ve seen is an Xbox One S reporting as Android. If you want reliable device level profiling then I’d recommend Cisco ISE, it’s marginally more complex than using the Meraki Dashboard, but far more accurate (and customisable too).

its_Tricky83
Here to help

So it seems, from many reports, that the Client Dashboard 'OS' listing for the time being is 'Other' for the majority of people, and 'Windows' for a select lucky few, albeit not the specific Windows version.

Hoping that one day this gets much better! But for now, because most people don't have luck with it I am going to assume my environment is configured perfectly fine.

Thanks for everyone's responses. Kudos to you all!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.