[CONTEST CLOSED] Happy Earth Day! โ€Œ๐ŸŒŽ โ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ’™โ€Œ ๐Ÿ’š

AmyReyes
Community Manager

Earth Day Contest banner.png

UPDATE: Thank you all for the fantastic contributions to this contest! We have drawn three names from the hat to win our magnet puzzles.... @CloudStrife , @Ensposito, and @Chatchai. Congratulations!

Stay tuned for an email with info about how to collect your prize.

---------------

Every year on April 22nd, the world celebrates Earth Day! It is a day dedicated to promoting environmental consciousness born out of a growing concern for pollution in the 1960s. First celebrated in 1970 in the United States, Earth Day eventually went global in 1990. Today, it is celebrated by more than 1 billion people across more than 190 countries worldwide.  

In the spirit of raising awareness around the importance of sustainability, we want to hear how YOU are making an impact this Earth Day โ€“ and every day! How is your organization using Meraki (or other technology) to reduce your carbon footprint?

This could be by powering off all non-essential switch ports during non-work time; upgrading equipment to newer, more energy efficient versions; or using monitoring solutions to turn off lights and equipment when not in use. These are just a few of the ideas you shared with us last Earth Day. If you need additional inspiration, you can check out the Unboxed episode about sustainability

The key is to describe, via any desired mediums (text, video, images, interpretive dance, etc.), how your org uses technology to help reduce your carbon footprint. All comments will be entered to win one of three Cisco Meraki Product Magnet puzzles:

Cisco Meraki Product Magnet.png

How to Win

In a comment on this post, submit your earth-conscious company initiatives that are based in technology before 11 a.m. EDT on Friday, April 26th (04/26/2024). Weโ€™ll then draw three at random to win a Meraki product puzzle! Your entries will be public and visible throughout the contest.

Terms & conditions
  • Limit one entry per community member.
  • Submission period: Monday, April 22nd, 2024 at 11am EDT through Friday, April 26th, 2024 at 10:59am EDT
  • Prize will be a selection of Meraki swag with value not exceeding USD 50.00
  • Official terms, conditions, and eligibility information
20 Comments
ekramer
Getting noticed

We are purchasing solar panels to outfit one of our tallest buildings, and will be adding to new buildings as we move through phases of construction.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal

Best of luck to all !

TyShawn
A model citizen

The local church I volunteer at replaced all of their indecent lights with LEDs. This cut down on the cooling of multiple buildings. 

van604
Getting noticed

We started with one office and put the wireless access points and PoE phones to scheduled power off during the 14 hours no one is in the offices.   Now this has been implemented to all offices, the building turns off the HVAC so there is no reason to follow suit to keep these all powered on

CloudStrife
Getting noticed

In our physical office spaces, we implement energy-efficient technologies such as smart lighting, HVAC systems, and power management tools. These technologies help optimize energy usage, reduce waste, and lower our overall carbon footprint. Additionally, we actively educate and engage employees on sustainability initiatives and encourage them to adopt eco-friendly practices both in and out of the workplace. This includes providing resources, training, and incentives for reducing personal carbon footprints, such as promoting public transportation, biking, and carpooling.

combobulated
Getting noticed

We've converted all of our lighting to LEDs a few years ago.  This year one of our initiatives is to configure all of our networked office MFC printers to print on both sides of the paper by default.  This should save a fair amount of paper. 

Ensposito
Here to help

We are trying to get people to use their legs to power themselves to work.  Since we now have showers, I hope to get more people to follow my example... great for the spirit!

PXL_20240422_185441484.MP.jpg

Naveed
Conversationalist

We have a hybrid sustainable power system with the green meter. all the light fans are converted to 12v, along with the smart lights where needed. On-prem servers shifted to the cloud. we are encouraging our staff to do car put and the ones who are coming to the office in 4Km radius use bicycles instead or motorbikes or cars. 

Jagatiya143
Here to help

Happy Earth Day to all!

Create batter tomorrow create better earth for future to celebrate the earth day. 

1. Use renewal energy resources to reduce the carbon footprint. 

2. Recycle the devices and equipment's by applying more innovative solutions.

3. Harness the power of AI and to evolve the technology usage to meet the green  initiatives. 

Regards,

Piyush

JoeRod
Comes here often

Weโ€™ve installed solar panels on 2/3 of our building.  We display a dashboard that shows real time energy generation, monthly and historical generation.  We have recently began to install electric charging stations our employees can use to recharge their vehicles at no cost to them.  

ThomasC
Conversationalist

We all need to take extra care of our commend home, both for today and many years ahead. 

At my company, which is a tech company, we managed our customers LAN/WAN/WIFI which are areas we can bring great sustainable solution into play. 

For LAN devices, we recommend to replace old devices with better / low energy consumption  ( of cause we recommend Meraki ๐Ÿ™‚ )

And for WIFI we schedule the access-points to be idle during the night and weekends for customer who only work mon-fri. 

Beside technology upgrades and power care. We sort our trash in the office and have only bins at the kitchen area. which mean every trash you have, you need to walk, this reduce the bins and the bin plastic bag.

We are also ISO 14001 certified. 

Lets all have a great green day out there. Remember to take a walk into the forest often, it brings healthy energy ! special now in the spring ! 

Chatchai
Comes here often

My company supports employees to work from anywhere which save company rental fee, HVAC and also reduces energy to transport to company.

We reduced document printing and space to store them by using paperless solution.

We use Webex as well as MS Teams to collaborate with our colleagues, partners and customers. This reduce energy to travel and accelerate works.

Recently my company distributes almost 500 company T-shirts to all employees, it made from 15 recycled bottles each.

Hope the earth is going better day by day.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal

I take energy from these:

20240423_145657.jpg

And feed it into these Bitcoin ASICS:

1000004436.jpg

At the moment it gets down to 10 degrees Celcius overnight in my country.  So the heat they produce gets recycled into the house for heating.

I use an MT10 to measure the intake temperatures.
I use an MT14 to measure the output temperature, noise, and to also monitor for PM2.5 particles (in my case, an early warning indicator for fire!).
I also have another MT10 at the other end of my house to make sure the heat is being distributed.

I also use an MT20 to detect when the door is being opened into that area and have an MV12 being used for security monitoring (and the two are linked together).

Mark_ME
Just browsing

Tonight we will decide on an underground parking garage project with 45 parking spaces and electric charging points everywhere. The energy will be supplied exclusively from renewable sources.

ROCTEL
Conversationalist

At ROCTEL, we're deeply invested in environmental stewardship, and our treeplanting program is a cornerstone of our sustainability efforts. For the past four years, we've been committed to planting 10,000 indigenous trees, aligning with our sustainability ESG policy. This ongoing initiative not only helps to reduce carbon dioxide in the atmosphere but also contributes to the preservation of our planet's vital ecosystems.

Last Saturday, our team, accompanied by friends, had the pleasure of rolling up our sleeves and getting our hands dirty to plant a significant carbon offset, contributing to our ongoing commitment to environmental sustainability. Notably, the impact of our efforts is underscored by the ability of certain trees to absorb substantial amounts of carbon dioxide annually. These forests, established for the long term, reflect our unwavering dedication to preserving the environment for future generations.treeplanting 2024.png

Comstor
Just browsing

doing business by using public mass transportationLRT StationLRT Station

RARAO_PROINF
Here to help

Hi,

We are a top-tier system integration company that holds sustainability as a core value.

Our organization believes in leveraging renewable energy sources for a cleaner environment and a better future. To that end, we have equipped our parking lot with charging points to encourage the usage of electric vehicles.

We also understand the grave impact of paper waste on the environment and have implemented a state-of-the-art paperless solution in our organization.

Our company has replaced traditional devices such as firewalls, networking switches, access points, servers, and laptops with low energy consumption devices that are not only efficient but also cost-effective.

Moreover, we have replaced traditional lights with LED lights, reducing our carbon footprint and our energy bills. Choose us as your system integration partner, and be a part of a sustainable future.

rwiesmann
A model citizen

Well my company has setup a sustainability strategy for a long time.

Every year, World Finance magazine honors companies that are actively committed to environmental protection and sustainability with the Sustainability Awards. For the third time in a row, my company was voted โ€œMost Sustainable Company in the Telecommunication Industry 2023โ€

Right now we focus on the following topics

• Increase energy efficiency and continue 100% use renewable energies

(Fresh air cooling for fixed and mobile networks, Electrification of vehicle fleet)

• Reduce CO2 emissions in the value chain

(Carbon Reduction Programs with suppliers,circular own products)

• Develop circular economy with second-life programs

(Mobile Aid promotes longevity devices and closes resource cycles)

• Save 1 million tons of CO2 emissions with our customers

(Comprehensive B2B support along the way to climate neutrality)

For more details on my companys effort on sustainablity visit the following link:

https://www.swisscom.ch/de/about/nachhaltigkeit.html

My personal contribution to more sustainability is that I ride my bike to work every day, regardless of the weather

niroulabh
Getting noticed

smart lights, use refurbished devices, smart building etc.

CarolineS
Community Manager

Thank you all for the fantastic contributions to this contest! We have drawn three names from the hat to win our magnet puzzles.... @CloudStrife , @Ensposito, and @Chatchai. Congratulations!

Stay tuned for an email with info about how to collect your prize.