extending a network via wifi

Solved
JonH1
Conversationalist

extending a network via wifi

help greatly apricated!!

we have two buildings on a site separated via road i cant dig up. 

one using netowrk one without.

in my own head i could extend the wifi by using a wifi ap to create the link via a mesh to an ap in the second building and adding a switch on to the meshed ap to connect to the core but that doesn't work! 

has anyone else found a way to do this? 

1 Accepted Solution
6 Replies 6
JonH1
Conversationalist

ill check these out tomorrow as i didnt find them 

Madhan_kumar_G
Getting noticed

Hi,

Calculate the load that is going to be between the two buildings. Mesh will not be able to handle much load. You can also think of point to point Wireless Bridge from a service provider.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is the physical distance between two buildings? A dedicated wireless bridge would be a better solution or individual internet connections and a site to site VPN/

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>we have two buildings on a site separated via road i cant dig up

If the second site is reasonably large, you could thrust under the road.  I would expect this would require the consent of the local authority.  Some authorities charge a subterranean lease as well.

You could also consider getting a layer 2 circuit from a telco that will do the above for you, but charge you a monthly fee.

If the two buildings are quite high, or you are prepared to install a poll on both sites, sometimes you can string a chain between the two sites and run a fibre over that.  You would need to check with your local authority on how high it would have to be and any requirements around this.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, a WiFi bridge link.

Otherwise, if the site is relatively small, you could get an Internet circuit for it, an MX, and run AutoVPN between the two sites to connect them over the Internet.  The two sites would require different subnets.

JonH1
Conversationalist

Top work guys, all working, I couldn't wait till tomorrow and the mrs is watching sex in the city! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels