different RADIUS servers but same SSID name and settings

InfraEngineer20
Conversationalist

different RADIUS servers but same SSID name and settings

Not sure if this has been asked, but we have different RADIUS servers with the same key, but each network has the same SSID name and settings as each other just the RADIUS servers being different per network, when a user goes from one network to another they have to re-connect to the hidden SSID that we have, our public showing SSID is no issues when roaming as this uses Meraki DHCP not our internal DHCP.

Any advice on getting it so clients can move across the different networks without having to re-connect to the hidden SSID 

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Generally hiding SSID is not recommended. It can lead to slower association time for certain client types that can have an impact on client roaming.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

hi, thanks for your reply, im thinking about doing the layer 3 option, would this still cause an issue on the clients connecting to the SSID if still hidden

Is it truly  separate "networks" or are the AP's in one physical location? Why do you need two differing  RADIUS servers; is either RADIUS server not reachable from the LAN at either site?

we have AP's on different sites with DC's on each site with there own RADIUS setup

The Radius is not the issue here. I suggest you do a test without hiding the SSID.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Some OS don't handle hidden SSID well. You are better to leave visible and have decent encryption. Also I wouldn't recommend using the same shared secret for multiple Radius servers it's not a good security practise. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels