New AP Neighbors feature , delayed ?

Solved
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

New AP Neighbors feature , delayed ?

Hi ,

That feature ( https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/AP_Neighbors ) / ( https://community.meraki.com/t5/Feature-Announcements/New-AP-Neighbors-feature-now-available/ba-p/21... ) was supposed to be released yesterday. 

I don't see the opt-in feature anywhere on my 5 orgs. 

Seems to be delayed. 

It would be nice to do the post the moment the feature is released. That would avoid confusion and some calls made to Support.

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I now see the AP Neighbors toggle on the EAP page in my Org

View solution in original post

37 Replies 37
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same here on both shards 184 and 199

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I already brought it up with Marketing & PM this morning. Waiting on a reply.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Great feature but those in busy wifi areas might get depressed when they look at 2.4Ghz and see channels 1,6 and 11 are heavily used already. 

Come on 6Ghz global adoption.  We need you.

Plus we need WPA3 compatibility improved 1000 times (required to use 6Ghz).

Microsoft has a fixe (keeps randomly disconnecting and won't reconnect automatically) for their WPA3 support scheduled for release in April 2024.

In a corp environment. I am depressed if you are using 2.4 period 

Agreed but some people require it for devices that are not 5Ghz capable. My personal stance is tough we only support 5Ghz but there are those out these who don't have that luxury. 

It's only within the last 2-3 years that a good amount of Samsungs mobile phone line up weren't 5Ghz capable unless you went with the flagship models.

I use to see a good amount of people spending $800 on a new Samsung phone and it didn't support 5Ghz. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We have to use 2.4 (alongside 5) at most of our sites simply due to their size, old (and therefore solid) construction and density. 

In a number of areas we regularly have 50+ active connections per AP and if that is spread across two radios it is okay, not if you force it all on one.  The CW9166 is our favourite right now as it has two 5GHz radios in our configuration and is readily available!

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Sounds like you just need more APs…

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's what my account manager keeps saying 🤣

Turn  off the 2.4 and when they start calling in send them to their department head and make them pony up. This is an "E ticket" ride to board, you must have the 5GHz E-ticket or no ride....   the longer we coddle and promulgate  junk devices with 2.4GHz bgn ONLY  w/1x1:1's,  the longer everyone suffers. It will be these same  junk bgn 2.4  devices that prevent you from  using WPA3 

Across my corp and guest segments if you cant do 5GHz, you get an Ethernet cable.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How many wireless clients do you manage ? Out of curiosity

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Here is one of our sites,  you can see by the uniqueness why we just have to make it work...

Screenshot_20231020_192035_Chrome.jpg

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same here. Around 35-40K unique clients per day 

+ All the IoT connected , most of it won't ever support 5Ghz nor 6Ghz. We will run 2.4ghz on our ssid for a couple years even if we wished so hard to get it of it.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Why not run a separate 2.4 GHz only SSID? Something like “Legacy” to shame them into upgrading? 😉😜😅

Please feel free to hit that kudos button

And if so only broadcast 2.4 only in the immediate vicinity of the device on a single AP.... im just saying...

thousands upon thousands. My nets were purpose built for video and voice first with 5GHz. If you don't have a proper acceptable use and access standard that's where to start, then refresh and rebuild one net at a time until they are all done. Getting ready to go into design and rebuild phase with 6GHz for all locations except China...(don't get me started on China)  

I have had exactly 3 complaints about 2.4 in the last 8 years. Each  of these complaints was addressed by see use and access policy xyz.   

Paccers
Getting noticed

All I'll say is I guess you're lucky to be in a place where you can make those calls around explicit 5 GHz only and the stakeholders back it. We all know the junk that exists in 2.4, but for me at least if there is a single user or service that requires it then the exec aren't going to OK shutting it down.

Paccers
Getting noticed

Not too fussed as it's just an EA/Beta release after all buuuut I did get on board the hype train after the announcement post and we're still at the station 😣

tinker
Comes here often

too funny - I've been thinking the exact same thing myself. It had to have been delayed as it's not in the early access page

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I now see the AP Neighbors toggle on the EAP page in my Org

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same here ! 

RaphaelL_0-1698103587545.png

yeah it shows up but has anyone noticed than after you click on it Monitor-->AP Neighbors  that:

• It is sticky. Can't click on Monitor--> Access points without it redisplaying AP Neighbors, have to click on something other than Access points

• the second word is using proper case..  e.g ANeighbors  vice like every other category on the dashboard under monitor  and configure except Air Marshall.

I'm not seeing the behavior you mention in bullet item 1.

As for the text case that seems like a pretty trivial issue to call out. But feel free to click the Give your feedback button in the lower right corner and submit that if you like.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

More importantly where is the u in neighbours 😉

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

On another note the default view only shows 10 rows of APs, yet you can only select 30 or 50.  If you select either of these options then you cannot go back to 10... even by going to another page or network entirely...!

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Ill trade you a "u" if you say AH-LOOM-AH-NUMB

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TBHPTL I also have this behaviour in Microsoft Edge, @Ryan_Miles you can see below I am on the page called RF Spectrum that is accessed through the menu item called AP Neighbours, but the menu still thinks I am on Access points:

cmr_0-1698251381755.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think it is related to the fact that the url for the Access points page ends with access_points, whereas the new page has a url that ends access_points/spectrum?from=leftnav

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Appears to be a UI issue with the new "Design System" view of dashboard. I don't use that so my menu formatting is different/classic style. I'd recommend tossing a case into Support to report it.

Thats -2 points for not using the eye melting screaming greenie weenie view.

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Using Chrome and that is the exact thing I saw straight away to the "T"

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Ryan_Miles  the documentation page is missing : 

RaphaelL_0-1698852324264.png

Tried opening a case but it was instantly closed. Suggestion was to make a wish , which said wish will probably be granted months after the AP Neighbors will be GA 🙂 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/AP_Neighbors

Its BS trash responses like that from the support team that make my blood boil. There is an overall lack of consistency depending on what department is releasing a feature.  DOCUMENTATION, IMO, should be an absolute core prerequisite for making the feature available.

Paccers
Getting noticed

Getting that worked up over a link not included on an opt-in Beta feature panel? The documentation is available... is it too much to type 'Meraki AP neighbors documentation' in to a search engine?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Documentation was added.

Congrats 🙂

DevOps_RC
Getting noticed

Just enabled the feature on our networks and it's great. However, just a small issue, the packet loss numbers for an AP are the same across all of it's frequencies/radios, as can be seen below. Could this please be fixed asap, as I want to use this information to get my point across to management... 'STOP USING 2.4GHz!' 🙂 

DevOps_RC_0-1698918249845.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels