IOS Apple App Store no longer connecting

copelj
Here to help

IOS Apple App Store no longer connecting

A couple of weeks ago, are AP's had their firmware upgraded to MR 30.6.  Since then our Iphone devices can no longer connect to the App Store while connected to our Public (open) wifi. Android devices have seen no change.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe this is unrelated to the firmware update. I suggest you check if there is a firewall rule that could be blocking the Apple App Store.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Well they can drop off wifi, and the app store can connect.  Once they get back on wifi, they can connect, it doesn't stay connected though.  It will drop again, the only thing that has changed is the firmware update.

It sounds like an upstream firewall issue. Geo-blocking and SSL inspection will cause issues with app store access.

Can you browse to apple.com from an iOS device?

Does the issue affect MacOS devices as well?

We don't control the actual firewall, another organization does that.  We can get to apple.com from all of our iOS devices, at least from the ones tested.  Haven't checked Mac devices as we only have a few and they connect internally and  haven't been tested.  I can not honestly say that any rules have been changed on the firewall, but if the users drop off the Wifi they can connect to the App Store.  If they turn the Wifi back on , they can connect to the App store.  It's when they try to get to the App Store 20 minutes later that it doesn't connect.   So I don't know for sure if the cellular data is holding on at that time that they disconnect and reconnect that it continues to work.  If that makes sense.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would be tempted to roll back the firmware upgrade to make sure the change was related.

Are you using DNS filtering or anything like that on your WiFi?

I'm thinking about rolling it back.  

I believe we are using DNS filtering, I suppose I need to look into that as well.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would be more suspicious of a change on the DNS filtering side.

copelj
Here to help

Figured it out.  (I think, it's working now regardless)

I added these into the allow list for content filtering.  They are the only things in there, and I've never had to do it before, but that is the only change I made.

itunes.com
itunes.apple.com
appstore.com
icloud.com
apple.com

It might pay to check the content filtering category those are associated with. 

Also mzstatic.com is used to host images on the App store so if you ever find that images are not loading it's likely this domain is blocked or isn't excluded from SSL inspection. 

copelj
Here to help

That's all we have in the category blocking.  I'll add the mzstatic.com though, just in case.  Thanks!!

copelj_0-1714506241535.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels