Enabling MESH in an established wireless environment

Solved
Einstein
Getting noticed

Enabling MESH in an established wireless environment

Our current 4 year old wireless network has had MESH disabled. We have now installed 2 - MR76's with external ant-23 antenna with the purpose of getting wireless to another building. From what I can see, the ONLY way to do this is to enable MESH to ALL AP's not just the 2, MR76's that will be making this connection. I do not want to simply tick a button that could instantly change our entire wireless network which has been working perfectly for many years. When I see that bandwidth can be affected by 50% !!!, I pump the brakes. 

Could I get some input on this before I proceed. I have read most of the notes from Meraki:

Wireless Mesh Networking - Cisco Meraki

Using a Cisco Meraki Access Point as a Mesh Repeater - Cisco Meraki

Mesh Deployment Guide - Cisco Meraki

Extending the LAN with a Wireless Mesh Link - Cisco Meraki

but still have many unanswered questions.

Thank you all in advance, I really appreciate all the input. 

1 Accepted Solution
JonathanSwitch
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Enabling mesh should not impact any AP's that already have a wired gateway. Mesh networking only applies to AP's that are not connected to the wired LAN upon which they become repeaters connecting via Mesh to a gateway AP.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
JonathanSwitch
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Enabling mesh should not impact any AP's that already have a wired gateway. Mesh networking only applies to AP's that are not connected to the wired LAN upon which they become repeaters connecting via Mesh to a gateway AP.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear.  Strange I could not find this simple answer/explanation anywhere in Meraki docs hence my hesitation.  Very possible I missed it?  Thank you very much my friend I appreciate the quick, concise answer, you rock 8-)

No problem. I think it's likely due to the fact consumer grade products tend to market "mesh networking" as this sort of performance enhancing wonder-drug technology which muddies the waters of what it actually does in an enterprise network.

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Wired WiFi affects available your over the air bandwidth by 50% The whole half duplex thing.....  A single mesh hop will cut that to one half and then another half of that for each hop.  Run the cable or fiber, you will thank me later.

6 GHz will make this much less impactful but no outdoor 6GHz yet... 

Einstein
Getting noticed

Would love to, ripping up 100yards of parking lot is not in the budget  😉

Just a single hop, should be ok. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Turn it on.  I net you don't notice any performance difference on the existing WiFi network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels