cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable 160MHz channel width on Meraki MR52?

Comes here often

How to enable 160MHz channel width on Meraki MR52?

We have a MR52 which the datasheet claims supporting 160MHz channel width. However I couldn't  figure out how to set it up. Then I come up with this article from Meraki, which mentions that 160 MHz is not suitable for enterprise deployments or supported in the Meraki dashboard.

For me this sounds suspicious. I would assume the claim from the datasheet is false advertisement if there is no way to enable 160MHz.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Re: How to enable 160MHz channel width on Meraki MR52?

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/MR52-and-MR53-ports/m-p/36143/highlight/true#M5712

Smiley Sad

We were just talking about this yesterday. Seriously though, 160MHz channels are utterly useless. There's pretty much no actual place you can implement them that's practical. I agree, if they say they can do it then it should be there... But do yourself a favour and don't ever enable it.

Kind of a big deal

Unless your doing this for at home, then I agree with @jdsilva 

It has no place in enterprise until maaaaaybe one day when UNII-4/5/6/7 become a reality, and even then I doubt it.

From support though, they stated that it is not something that is available yet via software, but that it will be eventually.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Meraki Employee

@AZAzure I agree with @jdsilva that 160MHz channels is not a "thing" yet, until there's more spectrum allocated.  160MHz channels are supported by the APs but not yet enabled through firmware.  Today there isn't enough spectrum to have 160MHz channels AND have a meaningful channel re-use plan, at least for enterprise deployments.  Is there a problem you are trying to solve with 160 MHz channels?  Not many clients will even support 160MHz channels today.  Unless you have mostly or all 160 MHz clients, using 160MHz channels is probably going to have a negative impact on the RF environment (increased noise floor, increased contention).  

Comes here often

Thank you Dave. I understand what you said. But I just want to have a method to enable it - at least so that we can measure the RF performance of 160MHz in our environment.
Meraki Employee

Got it, understood. Hang in there, it'll be there eventually but unfortunately I don't have a timeline. 26.1 just because the latest beta but it's not there yet, keep an eye on the release notes though.
Head in the Cloud

@MerakiDave wrote:
Got it, understood. Hang in there, it'll be there eventually but unfortunately I don't have a timeline. 26.1 just because the latest beta but it's not there yet, keep an eye on the release notes though.

Please don't go there. It is a waste of time, it performs poorly, it will never be usable because most of the time the channels will overlap, to some extend with the DFS, APC, CAC channels, so there will be frequent outages of up to 60 minutes.

Much better if Meraki devotes more resource to developing 802.11ad networks (including mesh), distance in the 60GHz spectrum is improving all the time. Meshing will work because there is plenty of bandwidth for backhaul as well as connecting to client devices.

The 5GHz portion of the spectrum is overcrowded, there are numerous more pressing use cases than static WiFi, it is headed towards completely autonomous configuration, weighted towards overall spectrum usage efficiency rather than individual requirements. Anybody interested in this stuff should attend the ITU World Congresses. The future of fixed PTMP WiFi is pretty dystopian.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Here is a challenge for you - try and find a client with a 160Mhz capable radio to be able to use it.

Head in the Cloud

@PhilipDAth wrote:

Here is a challenge for you - try and find a client with a 160Mhz capable radio to be able to use it.

Nobody asks you that down the pub . . .

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Comes here often

You'd better check this:

https://ark.intel.com/products/99446/Intel-Wireless-AC-9560

AC 9560 is a 2x2 wireless card that supports 160 MHz. I believe it is integrated into multiple mobile platforms. And actually I'm using that card.

And I also have a challenge for you:

Find ANY device that supports 4x4 MIMO. Integrating 4 antennas is much more difficult than replacing a current wireless card with an AC9560.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Points Contest
Join us for a month-long contest with heaps of swag to win!

Learn More ›