Do Meraki Wireless Access Points work with non Meraki POE switches?

SOLVED
kevinmodonnell
New here

Do Meraki Wireless Access Points work with non Meraki POE switches?

Do Meraki Wireless Access Points work with non Meraki POE switches? I have licneses for all of the equipment but my Business Administrator wants to upgrade just his 24 port POE Mareaki switch a different brand. I need ot check that the access points will still work as long as they are connected to a POE port

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@kevinmodonnell yes they will as long as it supports PoE+ unless you are only using lower end models then any PoE will work.  You will get less useful information by using a different vendor's switch, but it does work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@kevinmodonnell yes they will as long as it supports PoE+ unless you are only using lower end models then any PoE will work.  You will get less useful information by using a different vendor's switch, but it does work.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@kevinmodonnell  You have you answer but just FYI POE is an industry standard just like Wifi, Radius etc.  Meraki doesn't care if you mix their hardware with other equipment. 

EJN
A model citizen

Is there only one switch? If all WAPs and other switches are Meraki, why change this one? (Don't looking to start an argument, but rather reconsider the pros/cons of making the change. Meraki works so nicely when all the equipment is on the dashboard for monitoring, configuring, troubleshooting.)

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
scpswifi
Comes here often

One reason would be we have been waiting on Meraki switches for almost a year. 

AxL1971
Building a reputation

yes they do, we ordered a MS 250 switch and our supplier sent us the non POE version of the switch, in the end we had to buy POE injectors from Amazon to power the MR56 AP's now waiting on supplier to send us a POE capable Meraki switch

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels