VLANs and DHCP on MS120s

SOLVED
stgonzo
Getting noticed

VLANs and DHCP on MS120s

Hi,

I have a network that is currently running on a single VLAN which I am required to implement separate VLANS on.  The site has an MX100, 3 MS120s, and a few MR44 access points, we have some on-prem servers and storage on this site (connected to a Cisco SG300 switch), DHCP is currently provided by an on-prem domain controller.

The plan is to create 5/6 new VLANs these are – Client,  Corp Wi-FI, Guest Wi-Fi, Server, Management, Transit (if required), DHCP needs to be provided by the on -prem domain controller

My question is, as we are using layer 2 switches  (MS120s) , what is the recommended way to implement this?  I have carried out the same task successfully on some of our other networks where we use used MS350 switches, there I set up layer 3 interfaces on the switches, a static route and used a transit VLAN, but it seems like I will have to do things a bit differently on this network with the MS120s.

Equipment on site -

• MX100
  • MS 120s (x3)
  • MR 44 (x5)
  • Cisco SG300 switch (these are connected to the servers and storage but hoping to replace with Meraki switches in the future)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Utilizing the existing equipment, you would create the new VLAN's with L3 gateway's on the MX100 (under addressing & vlans in the dashboard), then trunk the VLANs down to the switches and AP's.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MS120 does not have L3 function just L2.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

So you have 2 options, configure MX as your default router (I don't recommend it) or configure another switch L3 as your core.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Utilizing the existing equipment, you would create the new VLAN's with L3 gateway's on the MX100 (under addressing & vlans in the dashboard), then trunk the VLANs down to the switches and AP's.

stgonzo
Getting noticed

Thanks, so I would just enable DHCP Relay on the MX ?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes the MX would relay DHCP to the DC's

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can do that.

Thank you

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels