VLANs and DHCP on MS120s

Solved
stgonzo
Getting noticed

VLANs and DHCP on MS120s

Hi,

I have a network that is currently running on a single VLAN which I am required to implement separate VLANS on.  The site has an MX100, 3 MS120s, and a few MR44 access points, we have some on-prem servers and storage on this site (connected to a Cisco SG300 switch), DHCP is currently provided by an on-prem domain controller.

The plan is to create 5/6 new VLANs these are – Client,  Corp Wi-FI, Guest Wi-Fi, Server, Management, Transit (if required), DHCP needs to be provided by the on -prem domain controller

My question is, as we are using layer 2 switches  (MS120s) , what is the recommended way to implement this?  I have carried out the same task successfully on some of our other networks where we use used MS350 switches, there I set up layer 3 interfaces on the switches, a static route and used a transit VLAN, but it seems like I will have to do things a bit differently on this network with the MS120s.

Equipment on site -

• MX100
  • MS 120s (x3)
  • MR 44 (x5)
  • Cisco SG300 switch (these are connected to the servers and storage but hoping to replace with Meraki switches in the future)

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Utilizing the existing equipment, you would create the new VLAN's with L3 gateway's on the MX100 (under addressing & vlans in the dashboard), then trunk the VLANs down to the switches and AP's.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MS120 does not have L3 function just L2.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

So you have 2 options, configure MX as your default router (I don't recommend it) or configure another switch L3 as your core.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Utilizing the existing equipment, you would create the new VLAN's with L3 gateway's on the MX100 (under addressing & vlans in the dashboard), then trunk the VLANs down to the switches and AP's.

stgonzo
Getting noticed

Thanks, so I would just enable DHCP Relay on the MX ?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes the MX would relay DHCP to the DC's

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can do that.

Thank you

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.