Replacing Cisco Catalyst C9200L with Meraki MS-425 Switches...

Solved
jfitz0715
Comes here often

Replacing Cisco Catalyst C9200L with Meraki MS-425 Switches...

I am replacing our Core Switches (Cisco Catalyst 9200L) with Meraki MS-425's.

Can I utilize the configs from the C9200L on the Meraki MS-425's.  Is there any process that you can provide that will make the conversion process easier?

We are doing the swap on this Saturday.

Thanks for any information or suggestions you can provide.

Regards,

~ Jerry

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm sure you are onto this already, but the 9200L is a Gigabit Ethernet only switch, while the 425 is a 10Gbe SFP+ only switch (ignoring uplinks in both cases).  You can't plug Gbe into an MS425 unless you have an SFP.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Nothing automated that I am aware of or would trust.  Since you can configure the Meraki easily even without even needing hardware online I would just get two laptops/windows/monitors side by side and start configuring the new stuff based on the existing config output.  Good luck and of curiosity how many switches are you talking about?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Four Meraki MS 425's

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yeah, I would just get started manually configuring them.  If it was dozens or more switches it might be worthwhile to do something with the API, but I guess you can knock these out in a couple hours or less and be done.  good luck!

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @BrandonS  states you could knock these out in no time.

Review the Config from your current core. Note down vlan port assignments and configure like for like on your new core.  

Same goes for your L3 VLANs, IP-helpers and routing.

Make sure your L3 interface for your switch management resides on your upstream firewall.  

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks for the info Brandon.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm sure you are onto this already, but the 9200L is a Gigabit Ethernet only switch, while the 425 is a 10Gbe SFP+ only switch (ignoring uplinks in both cases).  You can't plug Gbe into an MS425 unless you have an SFP.

Understood.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels