Question regarding sfp

Dock002
Here to help

Question regarding sfp

Hi I am looking for the suggestion on the sfp. I have got MA-SFP-10GB-SR on the meraki 425 and want to connect it to the palo alto 5050,3020 in HA pair so I need 6 of them. So I am confused at shall I use AFBR-709SMZ (PAN-SFP-PLUS-SR ) on the palo alto ? I am not sure it will support or not ? can anybody recommend eventhough both are matching I am not sure if we can have different one on each side.

Thanks,

DOCK002

13 REPLIES 13
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

dont know. but twinax/dac no option?

Chris_M
Getting noticed

The standard practice is you have the SFP recommend for the network device you're using. Both SFP are matching the device its going to be installed on. Since both are MMF 850 nm, they should be able to communicate just fine.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator

Provided they both support the same link speed and are both multimode you shouldn't have a problem. Remember to guarantee support Meraki require you use their SFP modules. Palo Alto may have their own requirements as well. 

Good luck!

now the big problem is 3020 palo firewall can not support 10gbsfp, it just works with 1gbsfp which does not match with meraki425 since no 1gbsfp. we have got two 3020 as external fw and 5050 as internal which is fine with 10gbsfp. so I am stuck here what if I dont want to upgrade my 3020 to higher models to make meraki working in our infrastructure.

Thanks,

Dock002

The MS425 is backwards compatible with 1Gb SFP modules. 10Gb modules are known as SPF+ 

We have a couple of 1Gb SFP mocules in our MS425-32

@BlakeRichardson,,,, so if I use AFBR-709SMZ (PAN-SFP-PLUS-SR ) for all of 3020 and 5050 there should be no issue, is that what you are saying ?

with the MA-SFP-10GB-SR on the meraki 425

I was just looking on the 400 family and I did not find the 1 gb sfp on 425 so....

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_ms400-series.pdf

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms425-32, on the bottom of the page.

so if you use SFP should match SFP on the other side. and SFP+ should match SFP+ on the other side.

SFP can also work in SFP+ slot but SFP+ can not work in SFP slot.

can anyone help to identify if there is any difference between 

SFP-10GB-SR and 
SFP-10G-SR

thanks.

From Google searching, it seems the SPF-10GB-SR is Meraki fiber and SFP-10G-SR is Cisco. That is the only difference I can readily identify.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator

Thanks appreciated your help.

Mio
Here to help

Yes, u can use AFBR-709SMZ (PAN-SFP-PLUS-SR ) on the palo alto, and MA-SFP-10GB-SR on the Meraki 425. Because the SFP+ transceivers u use is standard recommend for the network device. And they are SFP+ ports that  should be able to communicate just fine.

Since DAC is a low-cost and low-power option, why not try SFP+ DAC for replacing SFP+ transceivers and MMF?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels