cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Channel

Building a reputation

Port Channel

I have several switch models for example MS25, MS425, MS250 and MS120

How can I configure port channel in each of them?

6 REPLIES 6
Getting noticed

Re: Port Channel

Meraki has a pretty good documentation library. The specific topic that you are asking for is here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Switch_Ports#Link_Aggregation

Enjoy!

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator
Getting noticed

This is petty, I know, buuuuut technically you can't.

Port (Ether) Channel is Cisco Proprietary.

Link Aggregation is open.

Meraki uses LACP (Link Aggregation)

Not really a big deal but if you are connecting to a non Meraki switch, just make sure you are using "Active" or "Passive" when configuring the other side of the bundle on the non-Meraki. if you use "on", "Auto" or "Desirable" it wont work.

Comes here often

I'm interested in how this went for you.  We just replaced our old core (Catalyst 4506) with a stack of MS250-48's.

Unfortunately, we identified the whole port-channel/channel-group Active/Passive instead of on/auto too late and our series of banks went down.  We went ahead and pulled one of the cables in the channel group thus temporarily solving the errors and issues.

Having provided all of that information, our intent is to re-configure the channel group configurations on the older Catalyst 2960's that we have at our banks.  So, just looking for an idea as to how anyone's situation went.  Were you successful in re-establishing the channel-group or did you have to scuttle that configuration and ultimately upgrade the various network gear downstream?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Conversationalist

I also like to here how this worked out. I'm setting up MS350 with dual ethernet fiber connections to Nexus core using port channel. I have the port channel and two fiber channels setup as trunk ports. I'm using a SVI on the Meraki and Nexus core for routing. I used channel-group 112 mode active to add the ethernet ports to channel group. It works, but not sure this is the best way to handle it. I'm having problems with Meraki pulling a Management IP address. I'm use to using layer 3 port channel groups.  I tried using a layer 3 port channel, but couldn't get it working. I like to know how you configured the ethernet ports and port channels. Also, are you using native Vlan 1, or Vlan number of the main SVI you created for uplink? Just trying to figure out best way to handle port channel group setup. 

Comes here often

An update to this...we had to wipe out the entire Port-Channel configuration...and leave it that way. The various down stream switches kept breaking and tossing all kinds of odd errors. Ultimately, we have decided to NOT re-implement port-channeling.

Fortunately for us, we will be replacing all of our old gear with Meraki gear and then we will set up aggregation...some others may not be so lucky. From what I've been able to surmise, through all of my research, is it is very hit or miss and depends greatly upon the type of hardware you are working with, IOS version and version of various operating system(s) of the network gear that is NOT Cisco.

I'll have more to include later as we are going to TRY and do this with another vendor and an Arris/Ruckus 7250...more to follow.
Conversationalist

I got it working today. I had to create a second Layer 3 vlans on the Core switch and add a helper address. I added the same vlan to Meraki Management IP configuration and it passed the DHCP request through it. My aggregated ports through port-channel is working with Ethernet trunk ports, port-channel trunk ports and layer 3 vlans. I sent the configuration to Meraki to view and get some feedback on. I will reply if they can provide some useful info, or better way to handle it. I had to set the Ethernet ports to channel-group ### mode active. 

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.