Native VLAN and Managment IP.

getnyce32
Conversationalist

Native VLAN and Managment IP.

At one of my remote offices I have a 3900 Cisco router connecting to a 2960 Cisco switch.  I bought a Meraki MS-120 to replace the 2960. 

To get the Meraki online I just plug in an access port on the Meraki to an access port on the Cisco switch.  That gave the Meraki an IP address in the Data VLAN and it was able to get out.  The other time it came time for me to remove the uplink between the 2960 and the 3900 and move it to the Meraki.  So on the Meraki I disconnected it from the Cisco switch so it wasn't plugged into anything.  I had port 51 configured at my trunk port which is trunk ALL vlans and set to a native VLAN of 1.  I now move the cable so that the Meraki is not connected to the upstream device (Cisco 3900).  The result was that the Meraki wasn't getting a good IP address from my Data VLAN (VLAN30).  However if I plugged a computer into the access port of the Meraki I was able to route out the network and back to our headend (MPLS).

What exactly am I doing wrong here.  The native VLAN set on the router is VLAN1.  But we have three vlans.  Data VLAN30, Voice VLAN4 and Wireless VLAN 16.  I want the Meraki to get an IP address on VLAN 30 but it just wasn't working.  Sometimes it wouldn't get an IP address at all. Sometimes it would get an IP address on VLAN 16.  How do I set the native VLAN of 1 but get the Meraki to pull an IP address from VLAN 30

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Go to the local status page on the switch and change the management vlan to 30.
getnyce32
Conversationalist

I think I may have figured it out.  

My uplink port to my upstream device should be set to Native VLAN of 1.  

My management VLAN which is configured on     switch>switch settings, should be set to VLAN 30

Now in the dashboard where you set the LAN IP address of the switch.  I can either put vlan30 or leave it blank.  If I leave it blank it will use VLAN 30 because I configured the management vlan of 30 is switch settings.  Is that correct?

Yes.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can browse the local status page and assign a static ip/vlan.

But then you probably need to exclude the adres at the dhcp service.

while i was reading you already got the answer 🙂

getnyce32
Conversationalist

thanks guys.

I tried cutting this over last night and I just wasn't thinking clearly. I will give this a shot in my next change window.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels