Meraki blocking WiFi connection

SOLVED
Hubble
Getting noticed

Meraki blocking WiFi connection

Hello,

Have a user who's connecting to our WiFi and was working fine until this morning,  he's getting a Meraki splash screen saying "the network administrator has blocked his access" I looked around Meraki portal but haven't found any information that'd be helpful.

I have the MAC address of the device. Please let me know if you have any idea. Thanks. 

Hubble

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Hubble Do you have a screenshot of the error message the device is receiving? Based on your original comment it sounded to me like the device is being blocked at the wireless level not anything else.

This is the splash screen that I am seeing when a device is blocked from the network.

Blocked from WiFiBlocked from WiFi

If so, I would suggest looking at your wireless clients for clients with a policy and see if you see it being blocked there. I tested this earlier and I could not find the blocked client until I looked for clients with a policy.

clientswithpolicy.PNG

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Nash
Kind of a big deal

Look up that device under Network->Clients and click into it. What do you see under Policy? Is it set to Blocked, or placed in a Group Policy that would block it?

2019-08-01 09_58_44-Clients - Meraki Dashboard.png

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@Nash wrote:

Look up that device under Network->Clients and click into it. What do you see under Policy? Is it set to Blocked, or placed in a Group Policy that would block it?

2019-08-01 09_58_44-Clients - Meraki Dashboard.png

As @Nash said you can just try to use the MAC address and set the policy anyways just to see if it was by chance blocked.

Enthusiast
Hubble
Getting noticed

Thanks @Nash 

I couldn't find the device (mac address) from Network-Wide > Clients 

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@Hubble I have found that sometimes you need to look for the client with these settings.

clientswithpolicy.PNG

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Hubble,

The steps suggested by @Nash shall certainly resolve the issue.

You may also  check the following

1. Organization > Change Log [To Verify any Block Events]
2. Wireless > Access Control - Assign group policies by device type [To verify Block policy by device type]

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Thanks @AjitKumar 

I can't find the device's mac address from Network-Wide > Clients or from anywhere in the portal

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Where's your source of DHCP for your wifi? If it's not Meraki DHCP, you might be able to check the DHCP server for that mac address and get a searchable IP.

Or it's possible that the device just isn't showing up as a client at all, for some reason. In that case, you'll need to have them connect at a time when you're available to troubleshoot.

Hubble
Getting noticed

thanks @Nash its a meraki DHCP 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Okay, if you're using Meraki DHCP (i.e. the AP hands out something in the 10.0.0.0/8 space and NATs to itself) and you're not seeing the client on any APs... I'd really go for having this user have their device around, while you're watching to see what happens when they try to connect.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the user layer 2 adjacent to the MX (aka the MX is their default gateway) or is something else their default gateway (like a layer 3 switch).

If something else is their default gateway then you might need to check what policy in the MX is applied to that device, as all of their traffic will appear to come from it.

@Hubble Do you have a screenshot of the error message the device is receiving? Based on your original comment it sounded to me like the device is being blocked at the wireless level not anything else.

This is the splash screen that I am seeing when a device is blocked from the network.

Blocked from WiFiBlocked from WiFi

If so, I would suggest looking at your wireless clients for clients with a policy and see if you see it being blocked there. I tested this earlier and I could not find the blocked client until I looked for clients with a policy.

clientswithpolicy.PNG

Thanks @vassallon 

Unfortunately, I'm working with the remote client with local IT support guiding him. I requested for screenshot, but that sounds like the error message he's getting. I created another SSID for testing, it is an OPEN one and I asked them to try it...

Thanks @vassallon . You are right, it is being blocked from wireless clients with a policy. So I wonder why it got blocked, user been using the wifi OK for a few days. You have any idea on why all of the sudden devices got blocked?   

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@Hubble Usually a block like this is enforced by an admin. I would suggest looking at the change log for the organization for the keyword blocked. Here is the logs from when I tested it to generate the screenshots for the iPad.

blocked.PNG

Thanks @vassallon . I looked into change log and i can see one changed only for the device, that is when blocked is removed. 

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Hmmm, the only other thing I could think of is perhaps a group policy was applied to the device under wireless > access control.

policies.PNG

I can't think of any other way that a policy to explicitly block a device from WiFi may have gotten applied. 

Policy is disabled like you posted below. I called Meraki and they couldn't find anything and just asked me to let them know if it happens again....BTW, user is okay now. Thanks for your help. 

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@Hubble Glad to have helped, I know it can be tricky to find those blocked devices until you know the trick of looking for devices with a policy.

Hubble
Getting noticed

Thanks @Nash 

Unfortunately, I'm working with the remote client with local IT support guiding him. I created another SSID for testing, it is an OPEN one and I asked them to try it...

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Oh, I feel your pain. Long live the testing SSID. My problem child clients have one permanently configured but turned off. Good luck.

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Hubble 

What all Meraki Gear do you have in your network?

MX, MR , MS?

Please share the Model No. too?

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels