Meraki Switches use for MR36 AP question

Keith_Li
Comes here often

Meraki Switches use for MR36 AP question

Dear All, 

we are planning to install meraki switch for our customer using it in the store for customer guest wifi, and i have some questions in the following on the swtiches, i have selected below models switch with 8 ports PoE+, just wonder all the ports in these switches are PoE+ ? for model MS120-8FP-HW we will used in the site with 7 MR36 AP connected, and for model MS120-8LP-HW we will use it in the site with 3 MR36 AP connected, just wonder are these 2 models suit our customer need ? any help would be appreicated 

MS120-8FP-HW  -  supported max power124W 

MS120-8LP-HW - supported 67W 

keith 

19 REPLIES 19
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked the datasheet?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

alemabrahao_0-1679936922918.png

https://meraki.cisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/meraki_datasheet_ms120_compact.pdf

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MR36 uses 802.3af, which means the two switches would be fine. But for ease of operation I would use 2*MS120-8FP. That makes the all-in-all management easier.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @KarstenI that using both MS120-8FP is a better option even if it means spending a bit more because you will be future proofing yourself if you have to add additional POE devices in future i.e. CCTV or IP phones. 

While it's nice to look at cheaper options have a small think about the future and where the customer might be headed. 

Keith_Li
Comes here often

may i ask for these switches, does it has rack mount kit i can mount into the rack ?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

These are desktop switches. But there is at least one third-party solution:

https://www.rackmount.it/products/regulars/cisrack/rm-ci-t7.html

Keith_Li
Comes here often

So it has to be used 3rd party for rack mount, how about model 120-8FP I see this is rack mount so it contains rack mount kit in the box without paying additional for the kit mount ? one last question for MX 75 and 85 it has to used 3rd party mount kit ? 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Where do you see that stated? It has an integrated mount to fix it to a wall, but no rack-mount kit. Also the MX75 (and lower models) are desktop devices. MX85 and higher are rack-devices.

Keith_Li
Comes here often

So that for MS120-8FP it does not contain1u rack mount kit in the box ? If I need one it has to purchase separately ? 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes:

IMG_2423.jpg

Keith_Li
Comes here often

May I know the part no and cost of the MS120-8FP mount kit ? 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Of course you may know this. The part number is in the link and they even have published the price on their website.

Keith_Li
Comes here often

May I ask for Stateful firewall throughput with 1G, if the broadband that I’m going to use is 1000mb up down, will there be any bottleneck of this interface in the fw ? 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you plan to enable Advanced Security function you need at least the MX95 to avoid any bottleneck:

https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/mx-family-datasheet/?file

But do you really need this full throughput? I have a couple of MX68, MX75 and MX84 on ISP links with 1Gig, Typically the users don't need the full 1Gig.

Keith_Li
Comes here often

Yes for me I think mx75 is more than enough than within 200 lan clients, but my boss concern about the stateful firewall throughput can not utilize the 1000m Broadband throughput, want to convience him on that 

Keith_Li
Comes here often

one more question on below models, i see for mount type on the following models, 8FP is 1u rack mount whereas 8LP is not, but i check the datasheet that they are the similar size, but why for 8FP is state as 1u rack mount, may i have the official mount kit details for 8FP ? thanks a lots 

MS120-8LP     MS120-8FP

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From where do you have the information of 1RU? And there are significant differences between LP and FP: The FP is not only larger, it also has an internal power supply while the LP has an external power supply.

Keith_Li
Comes here often

I see the outlook of FP, it’s stated is 1u rack mount but I don’t see front mount panel for this model, so I need to get 3rd party mount kit in order to mount into the rack ? or this model contain rack mount kit ? Thx for your help 

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Where? Yes! No!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels