Meraki SFp Compatibilty

SOLVED
Mohammad
Getting noticed

Meraki SFp Compatibilty

I need to connect Meraki Switches with Catalyst Switches for example 9507 model.

Could anyone help me which SFP is compatible ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mohammad as other have pointed out, the recommendation is to use Meraki SFPs on the MS side and Cisco SFPs on the Catalyst side. Just make sure you have the same type of SFP on both sides.  So if you're connecting 1Gbps over multimode fiber, you would need MA-SFP-1GB-SX for the Meraki switch and GLC-SX-MMD for the Catalyst switch. Double check the type of fiber you have installed, like OM1/2 62.5 micron multimode (typically orange) or OM3/4 50 micron multimode (typically aqua colored) and get a good idea of the distance of each optical run, then check the data sheets to make sure you're within the specs, such as 220 meters or 550 meters.

Meraki does not lock out 3rd party optics, so in most cases Cisco SFPs will work in Meraki switches just fine, and there is no special setting (like transceiver-unsupported) required on the Meraki config.  In fact, for -ER and -ZR optics, the Cisco SFPs are the only option, as Meraki doesn't provide ER/ZR SKUs.  However it can cause a little bit of a delay if you needed support to RMA a Cisco SFP in a Meraki switch.  Because the Cisco SFP is going to be covered by the SMARTnet on a Cisco switch, not by the license on a Meraki switch.  Not really a big deal, but in that one-off situation they'd have to cross-launch a case into TAC to arrange for an RMA of the SFP on the back-end.  

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Mohammad
Getting noticed

I have 120 models and 210 models of Meraki swicth and all need to connect with Catalyst Switch 9507.

Please suggest?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Officially:

For the Meraki side use Meraki SFPs:

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf

For the Catalyst side, use the Cisco Transceiver Compatibility Matrix:

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/home

Non-officially, Meraki isn't too strict about the SFPs used in them. Your mileage may vary but most Cisco SFPs will work in it too.

In any case, make sure wavelengths and links speeds on both ends are the same of course.

Thanks mate for your prompt help!

just need one help!

Meraki side MA-SFP-1GB-SX and Catalyst 9507GLC-LH-SMD  is this works?

SX is multimode, LH is single mode, so no this is not recommended. What distance do you need to cross and what type of fiber do you have?

GLC-LH-SMD= 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP transceiver module, MMF/SMF, 1310nm, DOM

Above model support both multimode and singlemode as per datasheet, so it works?

Yes, but in some cases (FDDI, OM1, OM2 cabling) you need a mode-conditioning patch cord.

If your fiber is multimode and you don't already have that single mode transceiver it would be better to just use a multimode SFP.

GLC-SX-MMD=

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/product_bul...

Many Thanks for Expert Comments.

Hello. 

Excelent explanation.

I wanted to consult. I have a client who placed some UNIFI SFP modules in a Meraki switch and they worked correctly. I don't even throw Warning at them.

I recommended not using them because if something happens you have no visibility that it could be the SFP module.
Now a module from another brand can burn the SFP slot of the switch. Is there a probability that this scenario will occur?

Atentive

Deivid Lezama

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you want to connect them at 10Gbe or 1Gbe?

Do you want to connect them using copper or fibre?

Scratch that, MS120 and MS210 only have Gbe connectors.

@Mohammad as other have pointed out, the recommendation is to use Meraki SFPs on the MS side and Cisco SFPs on the Catalyst side. Just make sure you have the same type of SFP on both sides.  So if you're connecting 1Gbps over multimode fiber, you would need MA-SFP-1GB-SX for the Meraki switch and GLC-SX-MMD for the Catalyst switch. Double check the type of fiber you have installed, like OM1/2 62.5 micron multimode (typically orange) or OM3/4 50 micron multimode (typically aqua colored) and get a good idea of the distance of each optical run, then check the data sheets to make sure you're within the specs, such as 220 meters or 550 meters.

Meraki does not lock out 3rd party optics, so in most cases Cisco SFPs will work in Meraki switches just fine, and there is no special setting (like transceiver-unsupported) required on the Meraki config.  In fact, for -ER and -ZR optics, the Cisco SFPs are the only option, as Meraki doesn't provide ER/ZR SKUs.  However it can cause a little bit of a delay if you needed support to RMA a Cisco SFP in a Meraki switch.  Because the Cisco SFP is going to be covered by the SMARTnet on a Cisco switch, not by the license on a Meraki switch.  Not really a big deal, but in that one-off situation they'd have to cross-launch a case into TAC to arrange for an RMA of the SFP on the back-end.  

Thanks Meraki Team..

Is it mandatory to add Power cable seprately  with Meraki switches or it come by default with Hardware?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It does not come by default. You need to add the power cable.

I m ordering MS 425 x 2 , but not able to find stacking cable SKU, are stacking cable include with Switch 425?

It isn't included. SKUs are in the datasheet:

Meraki 40GbE Stacking / Uplink Cable, 0.5 Meter MA-CBL-40G-50CM
Meraki 40GbE Stacking / Uplink Cable, 1 Meter MA-CBL-40G-1M
Meraki 40GbE Stacking / Uplink Cable, 3 Meter MA-CBL-40G-3M

Thanks Mate for your prompt response.@brechtschamp

One side note on the power cable question, a C15 power cord is included by default in the US.  This is also true if you are ordering a spare power supply, in the US the spare PS will include a power cord.  In all other regions a separate SKU (MA-PWR-CORD-XX) needs to by included for the appropriate power cord depending on your region (the XX in the SKU specifies your regional power cord).  

Hi Mate,

Is there any option for Meraki switches for 10G copper ?

Yes, as fixed multigig ports on the following platforms:

MS355-24X
MS355-48X
MS355-24X2
MS355-48X2

Or as DAC-cable:

MA-CBL-TA-1M 10GSFP+Cu 1m Passive Twinax 10 Gigabit
MA-CBL-TA-3M 10GSFP+Cu 3m Passive Twinax 10 Gigabit

Not as SFP+ transceiver.

Mio
Here to help

Use Meraki 1G SFP on the Meraki switch and Cisco 1G SFP on the Catalyst side with a fiber patch cords, if you do not think highly of the cost.

Otherwise, a third party such as 10Gtek is also an optimal choice for its good compatibility and effective cost.

https://www.sfpcables.com/sfp-1-25g-series

its_Tricky83
Here to help

Somewhat related to the OP. 
Can anyone tell me if the 'Meraki MA-SFP-10GB-LRM' is compatible when linked to a 'CISCO SFP-10G-LR'.

Note that the CISCO SFP is the LR type and not LRM! These would be connected via 2m OS1 LC-LC Singlemode Duplex LSZH Patch cables, unless informed otherwise 🙂

I'm thinking it should work just fine, but wouldn't mind some reassurance?  The pic below might make it all clearer.

its_Tricky83_0-1605764860484.png

its_Tricky83
Here to help

@its_Tricky83 I'll just answer my own question, for anyone else that comes along later.

Yes, they are compatible and work a treat!

Lowey333
Conversationalist

Has anyone had any experience or know if the below pairs of SFPs are interoperable?

SFP-10G-SR-S

&

MA-SFP-10GB-SR

SFP-10G-LR-S

&

MA-SFP-10GB-LR

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels