Does anyone else have any experience with MS425 core switches not being able to lock in copper SFP's?
I just installed a stack of 2 MS425's, and on both switches there are multiple SFP+ ports that will not lock in a copper SFP. It looks like the Copper SFP can not be put in far enough to engage the locking mechanism. We have tried Cisco and Finisar SFP's, and I am wondering if anyone else is seeing these problems now also? It looks to me like the SFP+ ports on the MS425's may be recessed just a tiny bit too much behind the face of the switch?
Also have this same problem on a pair of MX100's....but I dont really need the copper SFP ports on it.
@akh223 I've not had that issue on our MS425's and I have used copper SFP modules as well.
@akh223 If you compare a good and bad unit can you see anything different physically? I wonder if the internal board isn't quite mounted right.
Yes, to me it looks like the metal SFP ports are a little to far back, and the SFP's can go far enough in to lock. The SFP's hit the front metal faceplate that surrounds the ports before the SFP is all the way locked in.
What's strange is that it is the same way on 2 new 425's and 2 new MX100's. I hope we arent seeing the beginning of a manufacturing error that is going to be present on a large number of 425's and MX units.
After further investigation, I believe that this is going to be a widespread issue with Meraki manufacturing. I have now tested 6 new MS425's and 6 new MX100's. They are all exhibiting the same issues with copper SFP's. The Meraki copper SFPs; (which are simply Cisco GLC-TE's in a Meraki bag) are only locking in to 84% of the ports on these devices.
I am trying to push Support to figure out what is really happening, but so far I am not seeing any interest from the Meraki side in actually figuring out what has happened.
Hi @akh223 ,
One question. Independently of not being able to reach the lock in mechanism with the SFP are you still able to get link from the switch?
Yes, the SFP's work and will provide a link.....but the tension on the cables can also pull them out over time since they are not secured in the sfp port.
Thanks a lot for the feedback @akh223.
In our case we are facing the same situation with additional problem on top. We insert the Copper SFP until possible, the SFP is detected by the MS, the port provide link and everything works. But, if that link fails down, for example because the remote device turns off or because remote disconnection, there is no way to recover it unless you "unplug" the SFP and insert it again. It is the only way to recover the link, phisically disconnect it from the MS and insert it again.
That behavior has been reproduced in several MS425 in different location and with the old MS 12.28.1 and also with the newest stable MS 14.31. In all of them we suffer from the lack of "lock in" of the Copper SFPs.
Have you suffered the same issue?
I havent noticed the links not coming back on the MS425's, but I also havent tested that scenario. If I get some time next week I will put a MS425 up in a lab and test it out to see if I can replicate your problem.
I had the same issue with Meraki branded 1GB SFP modules. I did get it in eventually but I had to try a few times and press very hard. The proline brand is much cheaper and actually goes in easier on the MS425. However, don't install proline module in an MS225 as I'm not able to get them out without tools. I think a new connector needs to be invented. It's nightmarish dealing with these.
I noticed this problem with my MS425 and an FS.com DAC cable. I was able to push and have it lock in, but just pushing it in with the 'normal' amount of force for an SFP will not latch and can slip out if you are tracing cables or otherwise working near the switch and bump the cable.