MS 390 Strange Behavior

SOLVED
ToryDav
Building a reputation

MS 390 Strange Behavior

Deployed my first pair of MS 390 switches!

Some strange issues -- 

VLAN 0 -

I see a bunch of clients showing they are on VLAN 0, but I don't really know what this means.

For example:

ToryDav_1-1631825670028.png

Shows it on port 6, but that is configured for VLAN 40.

ToryDav_2-1631825703219.png

STP ROOT - 

Although there is only a single stack of two switches, this still concerns me. 

What is this trying to tell me?

ToryDav_3-1631827799398.png

Just looking for any experience anyone may have to shed some ideas on what could be causing this weirdness.

Also seeing constant port status changes, so I am concerned to know if this STP root message is truly something to be concerned about or a bug.

ToryDav_0-1631828169391.png

Or is it just an MS390 thing?

Thanks,
Tory

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@ToryDav, I believe everything you’ve described there can be classified as a MS390 thing. Some of those issues are noted in the firmware release notes. Not sure what version you’re running, but if you’re not on the latest MS14 code then it might be worth the upgrade, it should solve some of the Dashboard issues - just give yourself plenty of time for the upgrade.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@ToryDav, I believe everything you’ve described there can be classified as a MS390 thing. Some of those issues are noted in the firmware release notes. Not sure what version you’re running, but if you’re not on the latest MS14 code then it might be worth the upgrade, it should solve some of the Dashboard issues - just give yourself plenty of time for the upgrade.

ToryDav
Building a reputation

Hi @Bruce,

Having done the upgrade yourself, would you recommend having someone on-site during the upgrade window? I am not local to the site location.

That issue seems to have been fixed in 14.29, but I am a bit nervous.

ToryDav_0-1631897784669.png

from 14.29 release notes.

ToryDav
Building a reputation

Just to update this post. 

I got approval to upgrade this MS390 switch stack firmware. 

It took a long time to download but once they actually went down it was only about 15 minutes downtime or so.

ToryDav_0-1631903997578.png

ToryDav_1-1631904008116.png

ToryDav_2-1631904019147.png

Everything seems ok thus far.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@ToryDav, great to hear that it all went well, and that things are looking better! 15mins isn’t bad for a MS390, when they were first released it was closer to an hour - still way longer than the traditional Meraki switches (which are usually only a minute or two tops).

ToryDav
Building a reputation

Totally! I was pleased to see only 15 minutes drop.

That release also fixed all the issues I was seeing.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels