MS-355 Layer 3 pros/cons

SOLVED
ToryDav
Building a reputation

MS-355 Layer 3 pros/cons

Hello!

I have a questions to see if anyone can help me look at the pros and cons of this scenario:

I have 2x MS 250's in H/A, down steam in the distribution there is 2X MS 355's stacked. Then for the access layer there are 3x MS 250s stacked. 

Can someone describe the pros/cons of having the L3 gateway on the MS stack vs the MX ? I really want to put a transit VLAN between the MX and MS pair for management and then put all my layer 3 gateways on the MS 355's.

I do see those are "access" switches in the documentation, but that's neither here nor there. 

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @GreenMan said if you have major traffic found between VLANs then route on the switch, if most traffic is going via the WAN then route on the MX.

Having said that, we route all sites on the switches as the only sites we have with fast enough MXs to not be an issue, the majority of traffic is between VLANs...

i.e. a site with 355s and 40Gb inter switch links to a blade chassis has MX100s that only route at 750Mb severely limiting throughput...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would try to think of your traffic flows, in such cases.    You normally look to route in a Layer-3 switch when the routing process is the potential bottleneck for your applications, because a layer-3 switch generally does this  at wire speed in silicon .  Do you have any servers, hosted on the site in question?   If not and you're going to access all your applications across the WAN, probably with much lower bandwidth and routed through the MX anyway - then I don't see that routing on your switching buys you very much (the latency for one ethernet patch cord???).

If you do have local stuff you access, is that definitely inter-VLAN traffic?  If not, then again you don't lose anything.   If it is inter-VLAN, is the application latency / throughput sensitive?

Hopefully you see where I'm going with that...

The Meraki approach is about simplicity and generally I think keeping Layer-3 to the MX is simpler, so stick with it, if there's no unacceptable downside to doing so.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Following on from the comments @GreenMan made, I tend to look at the MX vs. MS decision as security vs. bandwidth (it’s not that simple, but it’s a good starting point).

The MX is slow (in comparison to the MS) and this may be a problem if you’re pushing a large amount of data between VLANs, but it does give you a stateful firewall if you’re trying to segment/secure some servers for instance. The MS on the other hand will switch traffic at line rate (or close to), and so throughput generally isn’t an issue, but it doesn’t have the firewall capabilities, although it does support ACLs (which aren’t stateful).

I tend to do inter-VLAN routing on a switch if I can, especially where I don’t need the security of the MX so as to reduce the load on the MX - but that’s just personal opinion.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @GreenMan said if you have major traffic found between VLANs then route on the switch, if most traffic is going via the WAN then route on the MX.

Having said that, we route all sites on the switches as the only sites we have with fast enough MXs to not be an issue, the majority of traffic is between VLANs...

i.e. a site with 355s and 40Gb inter switch links to a blade chassis has MX100s that only route at 750Mb severely limiting throughput...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels