Known Issues: MS425 stacks directly exposed to large L2 domains can experience stability reduction

SOLVED
eddiex
Here to help

Known Issues: MS425 stacks directly exposed to large L2 domains can experience stability reduction

Current environment

Cisco 6509E as core and the rest are running as L2 distribution/access switch.

1*6509E

7*4506E

2*MS425

5*MS350

10*MS250

5*MS125

All Meraki switches are running on firmware 11.27.

Support technician recommend me to upgrade to the latest stable version which is 12.28.1. After review the release notes, I see  the known issue of MS425 stacks directly exposed to large L2 domains can experience stability reduction. I am wondering what consider as "large L2 domains"?

Thank you everyone.

eddiex_0-1620150203065.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@eddiex : Large L2 domain means where the switches act as a L2 with different VLANs and is high in number in a network as can be susceptible to certain unintended problems, such as broadcast storms, which have the ability to cause network outages. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/Layer_3_vs_Layer_2_Switching 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@eddiex : Large L2 domain means where the switches act as a L2 with different VLANs and is high in number in a network as can be susceptible to certain unintended problems, such as broadcast storms, which have the ability to cause network outages. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/Layer_3_vs_Layer_2_Switching 

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@eddiex : How many users you have currently on the same location ?

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com

I would say about 1,000 devices.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just checked one client using MS425-16 for the core of their network, and they show as having 1,000 client devices attached.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thank you for checking that out!

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

1000 devices are not be a large domain at all i think

Regards/Inder
www.thenetworkdna.com

Thank you for checking!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I see  the known issue of MS425 stacks directly exposed to large L2 domains can experience stability reduction

ps. This issue has been listed for quite some time.  I bet if you go and check the release notes for the version you are running at the moment it will have the same issue listed.  So upgrading is not actually introducing a new issue into the environment.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels