How to connect to a switch if i don't have access to Internet

SOLVED
Bilifive
Just browsing

How to connect to a switch if i don't have access to Internet

Hello, 

If i have a problem with Internet how can i could configure a switch ( port..) ?

Best Regards, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AStoddard
Getting noticed

You would need to connect to the management port where you can make some configuration changes to the individual switches you have.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AStoddard
Getting noticed

You would need to connect to the management port where you can make some configuration changes to the individual switches you have.

Hi AStoddard,

IF we loss the connection to the cloud, does the switch will still run it's base configuration? Meaning the LAN setup will still work? Or not?

@CBMontesclaros

Yes, the switch will keep the configuration when it does not have access to the Meraki cloud

@AStoddard thanks for your input. This is my worry with the MS, I thought that if the switch gets disconnected to the cloud, all configs (access, trunk ports) will be disabled and there will be network outage. Thanks for the clarification!

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I have this document bookmarked for when I need to access a device via its local configuration page:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

Just keep in mind that the abilities are much more limited via the local configuration page compared to the cloud configuration.  Best bet is to have redundant internet connections when possible. 

Note:  One particularly problematic area of having a device that can only be managed from the cloud is with the Meraki MX devices.  If you want to make a route change when the MX is offline you cannot do it from the cloud or the local config.  The device has to be online to make route changes. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Tony_Ang
Getting noticed

Hi @Bilifive

Easy, just power up the Meraki switch.
Connect your laptop to any of the port from 1 - 48 or 1-24 then open browser and type setup.meraki.com or 192.168.0.1

If it doesn't work then reset the switch.

Hello,

Thanks you all for your messages.

Ok nice, it's works.

Is it possible to configure port ( add/change vlan/ change mode port) ?

Best Regards, 

@Bilifive

From the management port you can change VLANs, enable/disable ports, and change link speed. I don't recall if you can change between trunk/access

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@AStoddard wrote:

@Bilifive

From the management port you can change VLANs, enable/disable ports, and change link speed. I don't recall if you can change between trunk/access

You cannot edit trunk/access from the local UI. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels