How long does dashboard store client IP address information?

SOLVED
Tobias_Kuhnert
Here to help

How long does dashboard store client IP address information?

Hi,

i'm seeing public IPv6 addresses for some clients in my network, but if i run a "ipconfig -all" on that client, the IP address is not assigned to the client.

So i'm wondering, how long does the dashboard store IP address information for clients?

There might be some time in the past where clients could have gotten a public IPv6 address from our router, but that was almost half a year ago...

Even if i click "forget client" only the traffic statistics are cleared... the public IPv6 address is still shown in dashboard.

Thanks

Best regards

Tobi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can choose how long data is stored. By default there is no timespan limit.

Network-Wide => General 

Set it to 30 days and data before that will be deleted. 

If you want to reallly "clear" data you can use the timespan limit of 1 day for example to clear data before yesterday.

privacy.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I believe the dashboard stores client IP information for up to around 30 days.  But if that client comes back onto the network it would update to the latest IP pretty quickly. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

I can tell that we have a notebook, which wasn't connected to the network for the last 6 weeks at least and it still shows a public IPv6 address.

We also checked with wireshark for any DHCPv6 traffic, but no router does assign addresses (as expected now).

You can choose how long data is stored. By default there is no timespan limit.

Network-Wide => General 

Set it to 30 days and data before that will be deleted. 

If you want to reallly "clear" data you can use the timespan limit of 1 day for example to clear data before yesterday.

privacy.png

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I guess I was thinking when you go to Network Wide>Clients the max drop down is the last 30 days.  But a fair point that it does store individual client info for longer than that.  Thanks for the screenshot @Ben.  I didn't realize we could set that retention. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

This may be helpful too: https://meraki.cisco.com/gdpr. Check the data retention tab.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
jackdenial
Comes here often

I have tried to remove the store client IP address information from my network even I have clicked on "forget client" but still cannot remove the information. Once, I couldn’t resolve ActiveX while accessing Gmail account issue then I got my solution from Optimum Customer Support team.

Mailhelp
New here

Maybe You Need To Configure Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

server error #007

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels