Continuous alert for devices that are down?

AKC
Just browsing

Continuous alert for devices that are down?

Is there a way to custom configure a continuous alert for a device type when it's down?   When I say continuous, I mean like every 10, 20,30 minutes or so.  Right now it seems that you'll only get an alert when a device goes down or when it comes up.   

We had an incident over the weekend where a switch stack went down and the network admins didn't see the alert email before people showed up for work this morning.   Seems that it got buried in other emails over the weekend.   If it was sent out more than once they probably would have seen it in time.   Unfortunately we don't run a 24x7 shop.    Any help is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I haven't seen that type of feature yet but you can selectively send different types of alerts to different places.  For key hardware alerts, like switches or security appliances going down, we add our phones text/email address to the alert so we get text messages in addition to the e-mail alert.  This helps us avoid having critical stuff get lost in the onslaught of alerts. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I would consider sending log events to a syslog server that will allow you to do more with alerts.  I like https://papertrailapp.com as it is cloud hosted and lets you easily create alerts based on searches to multiple email addresses and/or to slack, SMS, etc.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would use the Dashboard overview page on a big monitor, and use a plug in to auto-refresh it every 60s or so.

Then you get a nice visual representation of the state of everything.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

I would use the Dashboard overview page on a big monitor, and use a plug in to auto-refresh it every 60s or so.

Then you get a nice visual representation of the state of everything.

I think he is using the 'Clients connect or disconnect from the LAN' alert feature which wouldn't show red on the overview page.  It just send an email alert. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels