Can I configure mx250 before isp is installed?

Solved
Marsrock2021
Getting noticed

Can I configure mx250 before isp is installed?

Im new to meraki (used to cisco, HP networks) will soon be setting up a cisco meraki mx250 and have a question.

I want to add the device to the dashboard but our internet circuits and public IPs are not in place yet.

I was wondering if I connected the MX250 to a 5g wired router I have that is configured for NAT will the MX250 go online to allow configuration. If yes I would then just update the WAN config once the new internet circuits and public IPs are available.

If the above works and I configure the router when I add more devices (switches and APs) will the devices be available to the dashboard or will I need to console into each device and setup static IPs on them.

Sorry for the questions but Im trying to get ahead before the hardware arrives. I like the concept of the dashboard but its just a bit alien to me yet.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

>Would a regular cisco rj45 sfp work on the mx250. 

99.9% yes.  Cisco Meraki doesn't block any SFP (unlike Cisco Enterprise ...).  Most SFPs of any brand tend to work.

Cisco Meraki of course only supports Cisco Meraki SFPs though.  So if you run into an issue and open a support case and the SFP may be related, they may asked you to put in a genuine SFP before to investigate further.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can config  the mx(and switch/ap etc) at the dashboard even if it has no internet, the mx will fetch its config as soon as you provide it internet. But a 5g is fine to (note that the mx250 wan are sfp slots).

Config a vlan at the mx for management with a dhcp pool. Switches and APs wil get a IP from this pool when you connect them.

I just spotted I'm in the wrong section with my question. 

Thanks for the speedy reply. 

I was worried that Nat on the 5g router might block ports that mx would need to retrieve config. 

One other question. 

Would a regular cisco rj45 sfp work on the mx250. 

>Would a regular cisco rj45 sfp work on the mx250. 

99.9% yes.  Cisco Meraki doesn't block any SFP (unlike Cisco Enterprise ...).  Most SFPs of any brand tend to work.

Cisco Meraki of course only supports Cisco Meraki SFPs though.  So if you run into an issue and open a support case and the SFP may be related, they may asked you to put in a genuine SFP before to investigate further.

Remember that the config you apply is applied 'to the dashboard', which then pushes it down to the device, once the two have trusted comms.   You will indeed need to make sure that whatever is upstream of the MX, by way of NAT (your 5G router) and firewall rules enables / allows those comms.   Dashboard advises you what you need to permit, under Help > Firewall info.   If you're uplink comes via a mobile network, beware of the use of carrier grade NAT, by your mobile network provider, if you need to get VPN working to your MX.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels