MV72 and PTZ Feature Update ?

SOLVED
degarris
Here to help

MV72 and PTZ Feature Update ?

Wondering if the MV72 or other outdoor cameras will ever have PT available and controlled remote ?...Z is already available 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@degarris  It all comes down to what you need to do, If you need PTZ then I would go with a vendor that has PTZ options. While I would love a Meraki PTZ camera its not something they appear to be interested in. 

As Meraki is a company that deals with many product lines I can understand why they would want to keep their cameras simple as CCTV isn't their primary focus its more of an add-on. 

Yes 360 degree cameras have their place but I don't agree they are a replacement for PTZ, if that was the case why are large CCTV vendors still making PTZ as well as 360 degree hardware. 360 has very limited long range quality. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@degarris I to have asked this question in the past and the general concenus I received in replied was PTZ won't be included and that the recommendation was to install more cameras.

I don't agree with that and think PTZ has its place. 

100% agree, I have a Foscam camera at home and it offers PTZ,  granted storage is offsite but still an awesome feature to have in an outdoor dome camera....they almost "look" identical mounted at each end of my home.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It won't happen.  The strategy is firmly around using 360 cameras for that space.

We've put 360 cameras in environmental enclosures and used them outside before.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

As Philip said, it'll be the fisheye/360 cameras like the MV32. Its unlikely that Meraki will want to introduce moving parts that will cause shorter MTBF and more support headaches. The  MV32 can provide almost exactly the same outcome without the moving parts - just need an outdoor version of it.

@degarris  It all comes down to what you need to do, If you need PTZ then I would go with a vendor that has PTZ options. While I would love a Meraki PTZ camera its not something they appear to be interested in. 

As Meraki is a company that deals with many product lines I can understand why they would want to keep their cameras simple as CCTV isn't their primary focus its more of an add-on. 

Yes 360 degree cameras have their place but I don't agree they are a replacement for PTZ, if that was the case why are large CCTV vendors still making PTZ as well as 360 degree hardware. 360 has very limited long range quality. 

EJN
A model citizen

@PhilipDAth Could I ask for more info on the environmental enclosure?

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It was a standard PVC sealed electrical enclosure.  You then use a hole saw to make a hole equal to the size of the protective plastic cover that ships over the MV32 lense.  Give the plastic cover you take off the MV32 a nice polish, put it in the hole, and put the MV32 into the enclosure in the plastic cover.  Works well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.