Cameras in other VLAN's defaulting to cloud streaming for same intranet

Solved
DR1
Getting noticed

Cameras in other VLAN's defaulting to cloud streaming for same intranet

Has anyone had success configuring inter-VLAN connectivity so that Meraki camera streams in the browser detect and default to local HLS streaming instead of cloud x264 streaming?

Is the only way to achieve this to have the viewing device on the same VLAN as the cameras?

We have a topology that can support PIM-SM if this applies for camera streams.

1 Accepted Solution
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I’m sure you have already seen it, but here’s the Meraki document about how the streaming works, and stating that all it needs is a route from the client to the camera to use the direct stream rather than the cloud stream, https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Viewing_Video/Video_Streaming.

As has been mentioned just make sure there’s a path and no ACLs, also be aware of the last statement in the Meraki document regarding SSL inspection. It should just work.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DR1   I have this working, my device is on the IT subnet and the cameras are on a different subnet and I can view the footage using the local stream.

Have you triple checked you have allowed access on your firewall for your computer to be able to access the camera/s directly?

ChrisLaird
Here to help

I have the same experience as @BlakeRichardson. I'm on the IT vlan and I have cameras on a variety of other vlans. I didn't have to set up anything special to get direct stream working. My vlan has access to those client vlans.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I’m sure you have already seen it, but here’s the Meraki document about how the streaming works, and stating that all it needs is a route from the client to the camera to use the direct stream rather than the cloud stream, https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Viewing_Video/Video_Streaming.

As has been mentioned just make sure there’s a path and no ACLs, also be aware of the last statement in the Meraki document regarding SSL inspection. It should just work.

DR1
Getting noticed

This was entirely self inflicted.

Group policy based ACL's had been partially built out in certain places. It took me awhile to verify, but after addressing the restrictions created by ACL's, everything seems to be working!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The number #1 problem I have had with local cameras using cloud streaming is DNS.

The browser needs to be able to resolve *.devices.meraki.direct to local devices.  Some DNS servers are too old or dumb to know about the special *.direct domain.

You can test if you are affected by such a DNS server by configuring your cameras AND your computer with the browser to use 8.8.8.8 (probably do a reboot to be sure nothing is cached).  If it works after that - it's your DNS server.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Physical_Installation/MV21_Installation_Guide 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.