Black snowy image

EJN
A model citizen

Black snowy image

Occasionally, I will get a camera that reports green status (online), but when you view the camera it provides a blurry, snowy black image. Not solid black, but imagine a camera at night with no lighting whatsoever.

We have 100 cameras and it can be any; it's not specific to any one camera.

A reboot of the camera will fix the issue.

I haven't been able to find what triggers this.

Anyone else experience the same?

I have not opened a case yet.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
13 REPLIES 13
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have had a similar issue in the past.  It stopped happening for us with one of the firmware upgrades.  Not sure which.  We are currently using 3.31 firmware.

EJN
A model citizen

Thank you. I'm on 3.30. I haven't upgraded to 3.31 as this is still listed a beta.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@EJN  don't be scared to try the BETA firmware, the good thing with Meraki if is you find problems with the firmware you can roll it back so it might be worth giving it a go. 

I will upgrade to 3.31 and see if it happens again.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
nuo
Getting noticed

I have seen this issue as well. Sometimes a firmware upgrade may resolve it = I suspect the camera is crashing / not able to reach the internet to talk to mothership.
ShawnWillard
Here to help

I am having the same issue with my my MV22 and MV12 running MV 3.30.  I will be interested if mv 3.31 fixes your issues.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

I've seen this before but it went away - so could well be the 3.31 update

Let us know please!
EJN
A model citizen

I upgraded to 3.31 and haven't seen it, but it has been only 2 days since. I will report again in 10-14 days.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education

@ShawnWillard

Will restarting the unit fix yours. Is the issue intermittent? 

@nuo   Restarting the camera does fix it for a time, but after a while (couple hours->couple of days) it will go back to the black snow screen. 

@ShawnWillard

Sounds like a faulty device, flakey internet / cloud connection (unlikely) or the firmware flaking out (thermal overheating / memory leak) and then it auto shuts down or crashes?

Nick
Head in the Cloud

My guess is firmly on the firmware side
nuo
Getting noticed

Yes, I have seen this enough times to also feel the firmware is the issue. However, until there is a firmware revision out that resolves the problem. Hard to know 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.