Surface temperature and/or water temperature sensor?

Solved
TomMc
Here to help

Surface temperature and/or water temperature sensor?

Hi, we have a need to measure the surface temperature of a flat, metal surface.  Anyone find a way to do this?  At all possible to tape a probe to the surface to provide a rough idea on the temperature? (doesn't have to be perfect).

Same question for water temperature?  Is it all possible to put a probe or something in water to get a temperature reading? 

Thanks for your help!

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This is the answer from MT Product Mgmt "The MT11 temperature probes are not rated to monitor temperature of any fluids, including water."

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With water temp you can probably use the Glycol incased probe although I am not sure if its been certified for use in liquids. I would avoid using the bare metal as it might not be IP rated for liquids and could short out. 

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/sensors/sensors-accessories/glycol-encased-temperature-probe/

Someone from the MT product team would be best to answer this. Support might be helpful but given that not it's planned use they will probably say no. 

With surface temp there isn't anything in the range that would accurately do this and depending on the temperatures you are monitoring might fall outside their operational range. 

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This is the answer from MT Product Mgmt "The MT11 temperature probes are not rated to monitor temperature of any fluids, including water."

Not rated and can't do it are two different things and appreciate you can't say anymore than that @Ryan_Miles  because you have to stick to the official narrative however @TomMc you could always take a risk and see if don't mind possibly having to bin a dead probe or shorted out MT

TomMc
Here to help

Thank you Ryan_Miles and BlakeRichardson for your feedback on my question.  I didn't think we could do water and/or surface temps yet, hopefully someday.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.