vMX100 trial license: firmware upgrade announcement mail contains no "OrganizationID"

SOLVED
AndreasE
Getting noticed

vMX100 trial license: firmware upgrade announcement mail contains no "OrganizationID"

Hi,

we (the Meraki admins working for MSP BT (British Telecom)) received an email which announces that a vMX100 instance of one of our Customers will receive an automatic upgrade (which obviously cannot be prevented for trial licenses), see down.

This mail contained the network name, but not the organization name: But if you are an MSP, it could be a hard time to identify the Customer just from the network name (this time "azure") and such network names could even be non-unique!

I "made a wish", but I'd like to tell others in the community to have that in mind when creating network names.

azure-firmware.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

when you click on the link for n213.meraki.com/azure-.....

aren´t you directed to the network/organization?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Good point. The e-mails should indeed include the organization name as well.

Not sure what you mean with "which obviously cannot be prevented for trial licenses" though?

Hi BrechtSchamp,

sorry, I had been a bit short here:

This time, the vMX100 license is a trial license. I can imagine that in case of a trial license, Meraki is in the "driver seat", i.e. forces this site to be upgraded ("first shoot, then ask").

For licenses and devices that the Customer really bought, the Customer is in the driver seat for firmware upgrades. This means he could switch off automatic firmware upgrades and schedule them to a off-peak day or weekend or even postpone them until the firmware has reached a kind of maturity.

Rgds,

Andreas

@AndreasE wrote:

This time, the vMX100 license is a trial license. I can imagine that in case of a trial license, Meraki is in the "driver seat", i.e. forces this site to be upgraded ("first shoot, then ask").

I don't think so. By default automatic upgrades are on, but I'd be slightly surprised if you couldn't change that for trials. What do you get when you go to the Network Wide > General page for your Azure network? Isn't there a firmware upgrades section there?

Regarding the link... The link should change you to the correct organisation/network, but it only does that if your browser is logged in to the correct account that has access to that org/network. I agree that Meraki should show an error in that case instead of bringing you to the wrong place like nothing happened.

For us, we prefix every customer network with a code to identify which org it is specifically because of this problem.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

when you click on the link for n213.meraki.com/azure-.....

aren´t you directed to the network/organization?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

You are. You're brought to the firmware scheduling page for that specific network.

Hi BrechtSchamp,

no, I'm not, I just tried it myself. When I click on the link, I'm taken to the last organization and network that was active during my last logout.

But independently from that:

Didn't your mother tell you that you should never click on hyperlinks that have been sent to you via email? Eh?

Rgds,

Andreas.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels