vMX Large on Azure

SOLVED
rasmusan1
Here to help

vMX Large on Azure

Hello,

We are looking to deploy a vMX on Azure, for connectivity to our branch offices.

According to Meraki setup guide (vMX Setup Guide for Microsoft Azure - Cisco Meraki) vMX Large is currently not supported for Azure - Only Small and Medium.

Anyne knows if/when Large model is to be supported on Azure?

Thanks....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

>However of course I could deploy 2, and manually control which spoke connect to which hub (each set of spokes with their own supernet) - and create routes in azure for these supernets, to their respective vMX hub

That is exactly what you would do.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Another for a Meraki rep to answer.

@MeredithW , @CarolineS 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you considered using two mediums (and homing half the sites on one and a half on the other)?

https://www.willette.works/active-active-meraki-sd-wan-headends/ 

well actually i did not consider that option as the this is in azure, and I am not sure this scenario would be supported? at least not as an active-active solution as described on the link you mentioned - I guess this requires shared IP on the MXs? which I don't think is supported in Azure...

However of course I could deploy 2, and manually control which spoke connect to which hub (each set of spokes with their own supernet) - and create routes in azure for these supernets, to their respective vMX hub

>However of course I could deploy 2, and manually control which spoke connect to which hub (each set of spokes with their own supernet) - and create routes in azure for these supernets, to their respective vMX hub

That is exactly what you would do.

Since VMX LARGE (1Gbps) has been certified for AWS and Alibaba, I would hope its only a matter of time before Azure is supported, since Azure also has high end Virtual instances that can support process intensive workloads like VMX at high speed bandwidth with lotsa tunnels....      

Hoping this can be fixed soon.....  Its quite critical for a project that VMX Large is supported....

thanks a lot, but that will be SPOF for the whole group if vMX-HUB associated with that spoke group went down, right?

knolf
Conversationalist

I have been testing a setup using an Azure load-balancer to achieve high availability and spreading the load across multiple Meraki.

Azure: Using a Load Balancer to achieve high-availability and load-balancin... - The Meraki Communit...

MerryAki
Building a reputation

Why is the vMX L not available on Azure yet? is this a performance topic?
Is this a performance issue or certification topic?

Would like to know this answer also. We have a customer that needs this ASAP.

Alan1
Here to help

I am not sure about the answer if NOW azure can support Large or not, but at the time I was working on it wasn't supporting Large instance

It Still does not AFAIK. Which is crazy

shauno
Here to help

Bump for this topic, can someone from Meraki please confirm an ETA for the vMX Large in Azure?

GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey team,

I have done a little bit of digging to see if I could provide you with a more accurate answer.

Unfortunately, at this time I don't have much more to share aside from vMX-L still being in the works. 

I am attempting to get some kind of estimate, but as we reprioritise work very dynamically I may not be able to get one; for the time being, though, Philip's suggestion is definitely an excellent recommendation. 

I'll circle back if I have some news in the future!

Giac

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!
agoodman2022
New here

is there any update on the time line for the vmx-L azure availability?  we are waiting on this too.

JipBuurman
Comes here often

A few of our customers are also willing to have a Large vMX in Azure.

With a Few large offices (all with a /22 subnet for the clients' networks) and a 5gbps fiber uplink to the internet, are really limited with the 500mpbs that the Medium vMX supports.

1gbps would solve a lot of performance issues.

We already have 2 medium vMX for every site, (active-Pasive). and it is not possible to split the /22 networks on every site for technical reasons.

When the Large vMX launches, we defiantly would upgrade al the vMX devices in azure.

vMX-L has been released in Beta.

Sandip1
New here

Does anyone have deployed the vMX Large in Azure environment? Like to know the actual throughput, performance of vMX Large, how the process went for replacing the vMX-M with vMX-L.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.