Z3C cellular activation

SOLVED
Zilla
Getting noticed

Z3C cellular activation

Is there anything special I need to tell AT&T to get the SIM card activated in my Z3C?

I've tried two new AT&T SIMs in a trial unit i have and the Z3C doesn't recognize them.  However, if i pop the SIM from my cell phone in the Z3C it works fine.

The new SIMs are activated in AT&T Premier.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Zilla
Getting noticed

Turns out the issue was with the AT&T Premier online order.  Even though our admin got an email saying the SIM was activated it wasn't.  After some tweaking on the AT&T site, the card eventually activated.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nwu1
Here to help

Hey Zilla,

It sounds like there was some limitations on the trial units from AT&T, possibly not activated? I've seen instances where APNS would also need to be configured on the Z3, but the new cellular units are supposed to address/eliminate this extra configuration.

You can also pop the trial units in one more time and call Support and they can look at the backend logs.

Cheers,
Nick

Zilla
Getting noticed

@nwu1 With the trial you have to provide your own SIM.

Since I was out of the office yesterday, I left it in the office powered on all day and it did finally recognize the card. However, I took the 14.34 firmware update and it's working.  Not sure if our cellular admin did anything to the cell plan.

GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey guys,

Just to chime in, make sure you first bring the unit online via a wired internet connection as it will need to download some firmware and configuration.

Once it's up and running the first time, you should be able to use the cellular. 

As you rightfully mentioned, in some instances you might want to ask your provider for the APNS and set it accordingly on the Appliance status page.

Thanks!

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!

I needed to hear someone talk to me loud enough while looking up something on the phone for him. Which reuired speaker phone. I could not find any description how to activate the speaker phone in the Z3C PDF manual.

Bluestacks TextNow VPN

Zilla
Getting noticed

Turns out the issue was with the AT&T Premier online order.  Even though our admin got an email saying the SIM was activated it wasn't.  After some tweaking on the AT&T site, the card eventually activated.

Glad you got it taken care of

NickCalcutti
Getting noticed

Funny i have the exact opposite issue with my ATT Sim, i cna pop my SIM out of my phone and the Z3C works fine (besides AUTOVPN which is a whole other issue) and when i pop in a Data Sim activated from ATT the Z3C says reading then shows its an ATT sim than blanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels