Windows 10 VPN issues for some users after Windows Update

Shigella
Conversationalist

Windows 10 VPN issues for some users after Windows Update

I have a few users who cannot connect to VPN. This seems to coincide with Windows updates KB5006670 and KB5005539 which were installed 10/14.  The message the user's get when connecting says "The remote connection was denied because the user name and password combination you provided is not recognized, or the selected authentication protocol is not permitted on the remote access server."

I have recreated the VPN connection, created new user logins, created a rasphone connection, deleted the WLAN adapters and refreshed, ensured the IKE and IPsec services were running.  I'm going uninstall the windows updates to see if the users can get reconnected, but is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4
AlexP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

We've had some rumblings of Windows changing their transform sets off what we default to - a Support case can help you diagnose it further, and update it accordingly without needing to roll back any security patches on the client side.

Shigella
Conversationalist

Thanks AlexP. I opened a case and thought I'd also post here.  🙂

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Good ole Microsoft 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
CaptainBeRad
Here to help

I've had this problem with a bunch of customers. When Microsoft updates the built in windows VPN components it resets some parameters and breaks the VPN. Start looking at switching to AnyConnect instead, works much better. The licensing is not huge money either.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels